We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it worh it for 3 nights?

mo
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
is it worh it for 3 nights?

still trying to get away , just me and dh. we live in missouri...would it be worth it to travel to cancun or playa and only have 3 nights? i just can't bring myself to a beach in the states when i keep hearing about the pretty sand there! we have never been to cancun and don't know what to expect, travel wise. i do know we can get a direct flight out of st. louis.

planning on late june.

please advise. oh and would you do playa or cancun?

TEXAS
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

I think it's worth it....we've done 4 day - 3 nights several times.....just make sure you get an early flight out so you can make the most of your first day......we are getting there this year at 9:30am....we won't be able to check in but most places will give you a wrist band so you can start enjoying the hotel facilities while you wait for your room....

Last year we arrived at 10am......after we were greeted and given a drink and our wrist bands, we ran into the bathroom and changed clothes, ran out to the beach and were having so much fun all day that at around 3:30 we realized that we hadn't checked in yet..!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

I am going for three nights at the end of this month. It will be my second visit to Cancun (the first time I stayed for a week.) I would say it depends on when your flights are and what kind of deal you can get. I think Cancun is a place where you can experience a lot in three days, but there is also enough to do (tours and excursions) to fill a week. Probably for me, 5 days would be ideal.

It is certainly true that there are no beaches in the continental US that are quite like Cancun. Also you have the Mayan ruins and the opportunity to experience some of the local culture. Finally, there is the nightlife! If you want to experience the nightlife, come to Cancun. Otherwise, if you prefer a quieter holiday, Playa might be a better choice.

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

do it...think its only a 2 1/2 hr direct flight...just try and do it mon-wed or tue-thu where you may not waste 1/2 of your trip in the airport

Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

Honestly - 2 weeks is probably the optimal time to visit Cancun and the area because it is so beautiful and fun and relaxing that you don’t want to leave. That being said, 3 nights is not a bad weekend get away to Paradise. The key to getting your money and time’s worth on a short vacation is to leave as early as possible and return in the afternoon of the 4th day.

I would recommend Cancun for short trips because you can get to your resort quicker and therefore start enjoying your vacation sooner. It’s about a 45 minute ride to Playa from the airport.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

Look at it this way...what would you be doing at home? Laundry? Cooking? Paying Bills? Now say Cancun and see if you smile! GO, Enjoy!!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

Definitely go for it!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

To me , it would be. We can only get away from the 30th of June till July 4th. ( 4 nights). if I wait till I ahve time, i might never ge there.T me a short stay is better than no stay.

mo
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

We really just want to relax this trip. It will be a much needed break from our 1 and 2 year old babies! That being said, nightlife isn't real important this trip. What is important is a comfy bed, amazing resort and great beach area so we can just kick back. I don't even think we will do any tours - seriously we just want to sleep and enjoy our time alone. We had looked into the Ritz or JW, but doesn't look they will be up and running...

Suggestions on resorts? Where is a good place to book our trip w/great deals?

Many thanks for everyones help!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

Hi-we fly out of St. Louis. The charters leave very early in the morning, 6, 7 am and you arrive at Cancun 2/12 hr. later. If you stay in Cancun, you will be laying on the beach, in your suit, drink in your hand by 12 or 1 pm. (Apple, Funjet, MLT). The airport is just like any US airport, very organized and up to date.

The distance to the resorts in Cancun is only a few miles from the airport. A short ride.

Compared to other get aways from St. Louis- It is a shorter flight to Cancun than Las Vegas.

It is a longer car ride to Chicago than Cancun.

Really-where would you rather be in a few hours, the beautiful blue beach of Cancun, or you could drive to Branson in about the same time.

Breakfast in St. Louis and Lunch in Cancun. Can't be that.

If you go to Playa, that would add about an hour of travel time to get to your resort.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it worh it for 3 nights?

Some people want to stay there forever. For me four nights is ideal but I assure you that I can relax on a three night trip. I am relaxed before I get to my hotel so everything after that is gravy. Go for it.