We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

Camden
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

Bought a 4 day all-inclusive package through CheapCaribbean.com. Also purchased Trip Interruption Insurance. Got separate Air through Jet Blue. Upon arriving at the Syracuse Airport, we checked in at the Jet Blue counter where we were asked to see our passports. We showed them our USA Passport cards and the ticket agent questioned their validity. She called over her supervisor who said they we ok for travel to Mexico. We were again questioned before we boarded our flight to Cancun from JFK. Upon arrival to Cancun , we were advised my a Customs Agent in very broken Englishe that the cards were not valid for air travel, only land or by cruise. We were taken to a detention area and left there without explanation. Cell service was a weak 1 bar. I tried to call our "contact" in Mexico and she said there was nothing we could do even though we had purchased the "Trip Interruption Policy" We were both forced to signed a 3 page document in Spanish without any translation. We were then led back to the first JetBlue flight back to the US which happened to be Fort Lauderdale. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 9pm without any type of hotel reservation. A rude JetBlue supervisor told us this was all of our fault but that she would try to find us a room.. which she did. We ended up staying in Fort Lauderdale for the remainder of the vacation just to try to salvage a little bit of our trip in the warm weather. Jet Blue originally refused to fly us back to Syracuse but eventually relented. CheapCaribbean finally contacted me to asked why we "No Showed". When I explained what happened she said that ufortunately the insurance would not cover this type of trip interruption, but that she would call the hotel to see if there was anything they would do. She later called me and said that if we could get back to Cancun by the next day, the hotel would only penalize 2 of the 4 days. Even if we wanted to we couldn't , because our passports were in Syracuse. I called her back the next day and have not heard back from them since. Overall a terribly handled situation by JetBlue, CheapCaribbean and the Excellence Hotel. Will definitely never go to Cancun and will never use CheapCaribbean again. A expensive $3,500 lesson learned. If traveling to Mexico,Caribbean, Bermuda and Canada , please read the fine print that says : "by land or by cruise" !

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
882 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

I don't blame the airline for not requiring a valid passport for international flights. Passport is often asked at check-in, but not absolutely required. However, a valid ID is required. It is up to the travelers to know and be prepared to have either a valid passport and/or other document in order to enter the destination country.

Because foreigners and people with multiple passports do also purchase tickets from international carriers. There is just no way for each airline representative to know the foreign passports presented is correct and valid for entry according to the destination cities' requirements. I have traveled out of U.S. using a U.S. passport, then use a foreign passport for entry into another foreign country so I do not have to obtain a separate visa, it all depends on the country I'm traveling to (in case you wonder, it is perfectly legal, I just need to use U.S. passport upon re-entry into the U.S.). Also, even a valid U.S. passport doesn't always guaranty entry to places in many countries, especially in the Middle East where in addition to a passport, an official invitation or sponsorship letter is often required. It really is up to the traveller to find out in advance what the entry requirement is for the country of destination.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
617 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

I cannot believe how stupid you have been.

This is no ones fault but your own.

This has nothing to do with any airline, hotel, travel agent or Mexico or Cancun. You admit you have passports but decided not to take them with you ?

Unbelievable

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

To leave the U.S. to another country by air a passport is required - it is a very simple rule that every check-in agent should know. I find it near incredible that these people were allowed on board.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

Should have done your homework before you left!

9 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

I take it a USA passport card is not the same as a regular ol' passport? I sure hope so because I'm flying to cancun in a week with my regular ol' passport and now you have me concerned.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

A passport card can only be used for crossing at a land border - it's cheaper than a passport. A passport is good for ANY form of transport so if you have that then you're fine.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
57. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

Yup I too agree, this was 100% travelrs fault and no fault of JetBlue, CheapCaribbean . OP weas lucky Jet Blue gave them a free flight back because Jet Blue bears zero responsibility to do anything, it is travelers 100% responsibility to ensure passport is ion order. And who does not know that you do not need a passport for air travel to Mexico?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

First time posters that have not been back on their own post.................that should tell you something.

This happened to me once traveling to Mexico with a passport that had been "Nibbled" on by my dog. The damage was minimal and you could barely see where the edge was chewed but the airline told me they would allow me to board the plane but wouldn't guarantee they would let me back to the U.S. when I left Mexico. Luckily I was in Boston and able to get my passport replaced the next day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

Jill, regular old passport (as long as its not expired) worked just fine for me.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,874 posts
Save Reply
60. Re: Cancun Vacation Ruined! Passport Card not Valid

quote: Jet Blue gave them a free flight back because Jet Blue bears zero responsibility to do anything

Actually WRONG

An airline that transports someone down to Mexico or ANY country with an invalid passport is responsible with transporting them back

I betcha a few JetBlue agents were given refresher training