We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres

new york
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres

How far is it to walk to town from where they dock? Is there only one town with shopping..just wondered if we really need to get a golf cart just to shop, swim and bar hop...Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,840 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres

Some folks like to check out the whole island via golf cart, but it isn't necessary to do the things you listed. Getting onto Hidalgo or the beaches is just a short walk from the ferry dock. For a real help, get a map from the mapchick - lists everything! www.cancunmap.com Have fun! :)

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
336 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres

You don't NEED a golf cart, but it is just another awesome experience of the island and gets you around quick. Getting from one end of the island to the other (length) would be awhile if you walk. With a golf cart it takes 20-25? minutes. Also, at just $49-45 dollars (at GOMAR carts) you can't go wrong if you do decide on a golf cart.

There is one main area for shopping/food/bars (near where the ferry's drop you off), but there is also small shopping and great attractions all over the island.

Tip: bring your room card and license if you choose to rent a cart, I left my room card with them over my license due to all the information listed on a license.

ALSO try Isla Mujeres forum extension for more info. on what you are looking for.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,029 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres

The ferry docks in part of the town so a few feet I guess

Perhaps go over to the Isla forum, check out Top Questions

10 minutes north to get to the norte beaches where there are some great beach clubs / more around the corner

New Jersey
Level Contributor
26 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres

The 'town' area is directly across from where the ferries dock. When you get off, cross the street and head slightly to your left, walk in 1 block and you'll be where all the shoppes and restaurants are located. If you are looking for a nice walk along the beack, just keep to the left on the beach and follow it around, you'll see lots of great open air beach restaurants, small resorts and beautiful scenery. At any point, make a right and you'll be headed back into 'town'. The island is very small and most of what you'll want to see is in a compact area. Be careful to get on the right ferry when you are leaving as there are multiple services going to different areas in Cancun. (I found that out the hard way :) ).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres

As mentioned, the ferry basically drops you off in town. In town, you have bars, restaurants, Playa Norte (great beach, beach clubs...) and shopping. If you get a cart, you can drive around the island (more beach clubs, parks, beautiful scenery, drive through beer store, turtle sanctuary, more restaurants/bars)...

Get there early. Rent a cart,. See the island. Return the cart. Hang at the beach/centro. STAY FOR THE SUNSET and have some dinner.

new york
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres

Thanks so much! Can't wait...one week to go!!!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres

If you will be there over the busy Easter timeframe, I might recommend that you reserve a cart now, if possible. They can sometimes be all rented out!

We definitely want to rent the cart!!!

That sounds like half the experience on Isla.

I understand that Prisma will reserve online.

And there is the islamujeresgolfcarts service as well.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres

If you are familiar with mopeds/scooters , rent one or two , they are much faster and more fun , we always go out to the turtle farm , Garafon to snorkel, to the lighthouse , can cover more ground more quickly and since you are moving at the speed of traffic it is safer

Belpre, Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujeres

It's safer to rent a mooed cuz you're moving at the speed of traffic? I didn't think other vehicles were allowed on the island other than golf carts and mopeds? At least that is what I read somewhere else.

any Margaritaville...
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujeres

everything from bicycles to full size cars are allowed on the island.