We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Record

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Record

ASUR, the operators of the Cancun airport, report the airport recorded 551 operations yesterday, breaking the record set in December 2012.

Take a look at the photo in this newspaper article and if you are like me, you will be happy you were not part of the record!

diariorespuesta.com.mx/01012013/index.php…

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Record

I've been telling everyone that travel is up in Cancun. I have never seen Cancun full as it was this last yr. Goes to show the economy is improving.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Record

This must be the Semana Santa effect. All of Mexico likes to go on vacation the week before Easter.

Wonder what happens when that coincides with Spring Break to the north? (No, I can imagine; I just saw the picture.)

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Record

Thus a good reason to arrive at the airport to check in three hours before your flight.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Record

Why 3 hours? They are not all queuing for one flight. Separate desks, all pre booked tickets and the plane can only fit X amount of people. 2 hours is more than enough time to get to a boarding gate in a small airport.

5. Re: Airport Record

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 17:15
Edited: 24 March 2013, 17:15
Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Record

Ouch!! We are arriving on Friday...have never seen it that busy during Easter Week!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Record

Not really a small airport---Mexico´s second largest. The airlines recommend 3 hours for a reason. When I worked for the airlines, we had passengers miss a flight when arriving 2 hours before at Cancun. The airline will often cut off checkin almost an hour before departure to complete manifests and international paperwork.

And as far as ¨Separate desks, all pre booked tickets and the plane can only fit X amount of people¨, one airline checkin point may be handling 3 or 4 flights at the time. That could result in 800 people or more trying to check in at the same time.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Record

Folder, imagine that you choose the two hour arrival time and find yourself at the end of the lines you in the picture above. Sure there are situations where two hours would be plenty but as the saying goes...

Are you feeling lucky?

Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Record

We flew home on 3/22 and it was much the same! Luckily, I flew first class and had priority tickets.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Record

I visited in October and there was no wait at the airport upon departure. We had to hang around a very long time. Guess it's the luck of the draw.