We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Jumpoff???

Nebraska
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Cancun Jumpoff???

So my wife and I have been going to Cancun for 5 years now and usually go in May and stay at the Riu Palace, I just read something about some crazy party at the end of May what is it? Is it going to be spring break like at our hotel? The Riu Cancun and Palace are two of the four primary hotels for the event and I checked they are both sold out.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,927 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

We've gone during Jump Off several times and never had a problem - but - we've never stayed at one of the host hotels either. Like any other large convention group we seriously avoid those type of events if at all possible. Jump Off is a huge gathering party - like spring break for professionals. If you don't want to be part of it, avoid it. Pick a different hotel and go enjoy yourself. We made the mistake one year of being at Disney World during a huge gathering and staying at the same hotel as part of the group. Never again. We learned. We also check to make sure whatever hotel we are booking isn't hosting (or co-hosting) a huge convention the same time. You can do this by contacting the concierge. We stayed at the Hilton in Cancun back a few years ago when Ford was having a business convention there. Yes, it was very mild mannered. Yes, it was very professional. But....having breakfast during regular breakfast hours was impossible. Getting a seat in the lobby bar for the live music was impossible. The elevators were absolutely overrun with people all the time coming and going. Just not relaxing in my opinion. So, branch out and find a different hotel chain.

Cheryl

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Nebraska
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

Okay soooooo we already booked our trip through Orbitz and have our reservation at Riu Palace May 21-29, jump off is 22-27. I haven't called Orbitz yet, do you think we could change our hotel to maybe the Riu Penninsula?

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

I have changed hotel reservations made through Orbitz, that were part of a package, without any problems. Personally, If I was travelling during jump-off, I would stay as far away from the club district as possible. Checkout some videos on youtube to get an idea of the atmosphere of the host hotels and their pool areas during this time. Have a look the Riu Palace Rivera Maya located in the Playacar section of Playa Del Carmen. The hotel is very similar to RPLA but set on sprawling grounds and has a MUCH nicer beach.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d596668…

Edited: 30 March 2013, 20:16
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
5,939 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
271 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Nebraska
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

Is it really going to be that bad at the RPLA? We normally would love to try a new place but we have 5 friends who haven't been to either Cancun or Mexico all together book the same dates and hotel with us. I've checked and it seems most of the other AI's that we looked at are all booked up. It also seems that most of the craziness seems to be at other places.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

All the information on Cancun Jumpoff can be found here http://www.cancunjumpoff.com/

The four host hotels for the event are;

RIU Cancun

RIU PLA

Hard Rock Cancun

Krystal

We actually caught the start of Jumpoff last year at the tail end of our trip to the RIU Cancun and the Hotel became Packed! I wouldn’t expect it to be any less crowded and rowdy at any of the other host hotels… we had no idea what Jumpoff was until we talked to a few of the people attending the event it was described to us as a spring break type atmosphere with all day parties throughout the hotels and Club zone… this didn’t phase us much as we were there for my best friends bachelor party but if you’re looking for a relaxing vacation this definitely isn’t going to be your scene and I’d probably look into changing your hotel if at all possible.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
11,226 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Krystal Cancun
Krystal Cancun
5,461 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

Go to the 1:00 min. mark on this video to see what the pool atmosphere was like at the Hyatt for the 2010 jump off....definitely doesn't look like a relaxing environment to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_vT8fbSnRo

According to the jump off website the Riu palace is one of the host hotels so I would expect a similar enviroment

Edited: 30 March 2013, 22:34
Nebraska
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

I was just wondering since they seem to have events from 2pm to 7am most days at other locations that it wouldn't be quite like that at the Riu, I'm not looking for a quiet time, we do like to hang out at the pool bar and consume our fair share of beverages but were not gonna scream and yell and run around all hours of the night. I thought the Riu had a policy towards not having spring break style events

Nebraska
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

Here is the RIU's policy right from there website. Specifically the last sentence

Spring Break Policies

At least one person of 21 years or older is required in every room during March & April. During the remainder of the year, at least one person 18 years or older is required in every room. The hotel reserves the right of admission and may request clients to show passport or official ID to prove age. Guests can and will be removed from the property at their own expense in case of any disturbance or complaint from other guests or hotel staff. Parties in rooms are not allowed. Spring break groups or unruly behavior is not allowed all year round at any property.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

Most people there were mid-twenties that I noticed and RIU wasn’t too strict on the rules once that crowd took over… they did offer people we met down there (not us as our vacation was coming to an end in the following 2 days) who were unaware of Jumpoff and what is was the option of upgrading and transferring to a different RIU hotel… so if you want to take the risk by all means go for it and RIU may help you out if its not what you were expecting.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Jumpoff???

Thanks for the input! Pretty sure we are just gonna go for it and have fun, it's usually never as bad as you think it could be and if it is I'll just take it as a lesson learned