We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis car rental - really good experience

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Avis car rental - really good experience

When I was preparing for a trip to Mexico, I was very concerned about renting a car in Cancun. I have rented cars in other parts of Mexico multiple times without a problem, but the comments listed on TripAdvisor and other places suggested that nearly all the rental companies in Cancun were terrible and unethical. Here is a detailed description of my experience.

I decided to book with Avis. I didn't want to worry about insurance so I used Amex Premium Car Rental Protection which was only $25 for the entire trip. I also joined Avis Preferred because I could set a travel profile and I figured the agents would be less likely to mess with a frequent renter. In the profile I included Additional Liability Insurance for peace of mind and declined everything else (in keeping with the Amex directions).

When we arrived - yes the Cancun airport is an experience. It was clean, it seemed small, but there is a lot of activity - the rental car companies are calling out for your attention. When I stepped up to Avis and mentioned I had a reservation, I was quickly ushered through the crawd of timeshare sellers and taken to a special spot where I was soon picked up. Very friendly driver, free water was handed out. I tipped him as I would in the US.

The Avis lot is about 3 minutes away. All the agents were busy (maybe 5 of them). I went to the preferred line and saw that the agent handled the preferred line was busy dealing with some issue. I waiting about 2 or 3 minutes and then I noticed that the van driver had come in and got the attention of the agent to make sure I was taken care of. I was handed off to another person. I handed him my Amex card and my driver's license. He started to ask about insurance and I simply told him I wanted coverage that were in my profile. His manager leaned over and told him to move along. Everything else was relatively quick. They were trying some system were the rentals were processed with their cell phones. This was a bit slower than I think they planned, but I was taken to the car, which was of the quality I would have expected in the US. Clean, filled with gas. I looked at the receipt and there were no surprises.

It was a very good experience, particularly in the light of the low expectations I had. The return process was equally good. I had read (and heard from a B&B) owner that I should NOT believe the car rental companies were open 24 hours despite what they say or put on their web sites. We had checked and rechecked multiple times...always the same answer. We showed up at 4am and there was a staff of 3 or 4 at the place. Check in was easy (if maybe just a bit slower than in the US) we were in the van in under 10 minutes. The agent seemed to go out of his way to show me exactly what I was paying (in the low $200 range for a week).

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

Welcome to the Trip Advisor forum. Interesting first post...

How was the rest of your trip? Where did you stay? What did you like/dislike about the area? How was the weather when you were there? Was this your first visit to the area? What other car rental agencies have you rented from in this area?

Edited: 30 March 2013, 14:22
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

We both know that Avis has been posting on Tripadvisor and this does smell fishy.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

Yup. Like a sun rotted carp.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

Funny to see this. I rented from them just two weeks ago and it was the WORST rental experience I've ever had. The car was fine and inexpensive but it took about an hour once I was at the agent!!! An hour!!! My reservation was not complex and all the same people were there with me also speaking to agents for about an hour.

Then when you go outside to get the keys they try to sell you on attending a resort marketing presentation!

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

LOL, look at their 8 reviews. All on March 30th.....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

Huh, I'm not sure how to write a positive review without it seeming suspicious.

I traveled with my girlfriend on a trip that took us to Oaxaca City, then Akumal (via Cancun), Tulum, and Valladolid. Oaxaca City was nice for the arts and food and the weather was pretty great (in comparison to Seattle). Coming in from the airport late on a Friday night, however, was a bit like entering a Mad Max movie.

Akumal and Tulum offered the opportunity to relax after being in the city.

All my reviews were posted on the same day because I wrote them all in one sitting after I returned from Mexico.

I have no affiliation with Avis what so ever and I haven't rented from then (besides this trip) in perhaps a decade.

New York City
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

Actually, I had a really good experience as well with Avis during the first week in April! I also joined Avis preferred to avoid dealing with the sales pitch for insurance. When I got to the counter, they did process my reservation via a cell phone, which in my opinion it seemed to slow down the process but worth waiting for as I got an upgrade. Returning the car was a breeze and they charged my credit card in US Dollars, which is great as it avoids the foreign transaction fees! My only complaint is that counter where they hand out maps is manned by timeshare reps (Unlimited Vacation Club) not Avis employees and that was 20 mins wasted of my time!

8. Re: Avis car rental - really good experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:17