We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Feasterville...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

Hello,

I will be traveling to Mexico with my 10 years old daughter. I have a full custody of her. I got divorced from her father and he is living somewhere overseas now. I would like to ask people like myself who recently went to Mexico with a child and have a full custody. Do I need custody papers to be translated into Spanish and be notorized?

I did email Mexico consulate, but didn't get anything from them yet (more then 10 days passed).

Thank you

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

Yes you do....

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

You don't need anything for Mexico but you may well need it to leave your home country.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,929 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

I believe the requirement for documents to be translated into Spanish and apostillated was either deferred or cancelled altogether.

However, as noted by Steve, many airlines require either a notarized letter of authorization from the other parent or some other sort of proof that you're allowed to travel with your child. It appears that oftentimes they don't ask - I know I wasn't when we took my daughter's friend (aged 14) with us on holiday last year - but the problem is, if they do and you don't have it, you're hooped, You can expect to be denied boarding and forget being able to make any sort of insurance claim as it won't cover you in that sort of a situation.

Presumably, you have some sort of Court documentation evidencing the fact that you have sole custody? If so, a notarially certified copy of those documents should suffice.

I say "should" with caution. I don't know a whole lot about Family Law but my understanding is that sole custody does not necessarily mean that the other parent has no rights at all. Unless your documentation is very clear and explicit (and not in legalese!) AND you're unlucky enough to encounter a particularly difficult airline official, it may not be enough.

If you want to be REALLY sure that you won't have a problem, I have a couple of suggestions:

- contact the airline and ask them if what you have is sufficient;

- contact your ex and get the requisite notarized letter of consent from him;

- apply to the Court and get an order that specifically states that you can travel with your daughter without any sort of consent from your ex.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

I was emailed by our travel agent (Thompson) just a few weeks before we travelled (Feb 2013) to say we needed a notarised letter of consent ( translated into Spanish) to give permission for me to take my kids on holiday with their step dad. I rushed around at great expense to get such a document and never got asked to show it once! Still wouldn't risk it though.

Feasterville...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

Thank you for all responses.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

Here's a link on the Mexican standpoint: embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php…

Note that it says the requirement for notarization and translation has been suspended until next year and that any minor traveling with at least one parent require no extra paperwork (just a passport). It is the home country and the airline that are most likely to be the problem.

Corbin, Kentucky
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

I just returned from Cancun with my 16 year old (joint custody), and I had to show the airline here in the States the notarized letter from her father saying she could go before they would allow us to have our boarding passes. That was the one and only time I had to show anyone that letter.

USA
Level Contributor
699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

we used to rush around and get this document also notarized when we flew from Canada to Mexico (US Citizens.) The only one who seemed interested was the Canadian airlines and one year we had a rubber stamp notary and they would not accept it - we had to chase down a notary for $75.00 to re-notarize it in the airport before they would check us in - with a raised stamp - and the father was no where in sight. makes you wonder. Customs in Mexico never looked at the letter once in three or four years when my son was younger.

9. Re: Traveling with Child One parent-Full Custody

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:15