We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car trip suggestions to Chichen

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Car trip suggestions to Chichen

We decided on renting a car with all the helpful comments from TA. Now my next question is we plan on leaving early morning from our airport hotel to Chichen Itza. I have read through that there are not many stops on the way.

We plan to get our gas tank full. But were wondering how easy it is to find any stopover places for restroom/breakfast break on our way?

Any road planer help will be really appreciated

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,874 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

If you are leaving from Cancun, easiest way would be to take the toll road just south of the airport. A little less than halfway there, is a rest stop with restaurants, restrooms and a Pemex (although the Pemex had a lot of

trucks using it when we took this road). I'd probably try and fill up before leaving Cancun.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

If you do take the cuota (toll road) there are two potties. The first is the one and only rest stop (less than half way) and the second is a really dirty restroom at the border crossing from Quintana Roo to the Yucatan. Nothing else there, though. Stop in Piste (the town next to Chichen Itza) and fill up, buy snacks, eat lunch and then head back. If you take the libre (free road) it's much longer and has lots of small villages with lower speed limits and speed bumps but more snacks/potties along that route.

Cheryl

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,788 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

Get the Mayan Adventure map/guide from cancunmap.com

Consider stopping by Ik Kil cenote just east of C. Itza.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

If you take the cuota, which you should unless you want to spend twice as long driving, there's really no place worth stopping. I'd grab breakfast before leaving. There's a nice place for lunch in Piste called Las Mestizas and a very nice place in Valladolid called La Taberna de los Frailes. As noted, there are exactly two places with toilets on the cuota between Cancun and Piste.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

I disagree with Mark S., in that there is a popular restaurant (popular with Mexicans, anyway) along the way to Chichen via the toll road (cuota). After you pass the exit to Valladolid you will come to a service plaza (exit is on the left). There are gas pumps and bathrooms, tiendas and small restaurants. At the far end is Italian Coffee, which is great for coffee and a snack. For more local cuisine, there is "Doña Something" (? Can't remember the name). Great tacos and inexpensive as well.

Have a great trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,741 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

Agree EJ. I have often stopped at the service plaza for food when traveling with Mexican friends and the food there is actually good.I can´t remember the name of the restaurant either.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

We've also eaten at the rest plaza and enjoyed the food....the biggest mistake people make is stopping and not eating, thinking they'll grab something at the next one. The point: there isn't a "next one". Next stop Chichen Itza. Stop and eat.

Cheryl

8. Re: Car trip suggestions to Chichen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:15