We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annoyed by people's reactions

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Annoyed by people's reactions

I've been to Cancun before, but my husband hasn't. On multiple occasions, we've told people where we are going on vacation and they make comments. "Be careful in Cancun. I'm assuming you are staying at a resort?" or "Cancun is garbage. You should have gone to Riviera Maya.". Number one: why would you make a comment like that to someone who is obviously excited about going on vacation? Number 2: What would you say back to them? It just irks me that people would make those comments.

Amherst, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

Lindsay, when you are sitting at the Hard Rock pool, in the sunshine, listing to tunes, drinking your favorite adult beverage......just laugh at them all. Oh what they are missing! I get the same thing here. My husband will go to Cancun all day long, but I can't convince him to go to Puerta Vallarta "because we will get murdered or kidnapped". I laugh at him. Told him I was going to go anyways even if I had to make it a girls trip. LOL

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

Sorry Lindsay, I don't have any snappy comebacks for you but don't let 'em get you down!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

Best Question Back:

"Where did you say you were going again?"

For us coming from Ireland Cancun is considered very exotic because it takes a long time to get there and expensive.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
764 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

Oh I know! People are like "OMG I can't believe you are going there, aren't you scared you'll DIE" I say, well I do stay in the hotel zone, which is perfectly safe. The main source of income for Cancun is tourist, why would anyone hurt us. I've never ONCE felt threatened or scared. ALSO, I feel more safe walking around Cancun hotel zone then area's of Down town Dallas

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

OSULindsay- Send them my way then, almost nobody I know questions Why Cancun? Over the last few years I have done a very good, detailed, point by point job on Why not Cancun? Plus my wife feels very safe there, so they assume it must be if she thinks it is. Lastly a fair number have gone down themselves and know better now to boot.

Also be safe is a standard responce from people no matter were you go. They probably would say the same thing about Las Vegas, New York, Chicago etc. Esp. if they have never been to those places in the past personally. Now be safe if your heading to Afghanistan, or ....... Ok that is different.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 19:53
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

Envy ?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

Say "I love it there". "You must have it confused with another part of Mexico where some violence occures-thousands of miles away. Whwere-B-T-W the USA has mucho business (in those bad areas) in the manufacturing sector."

My area is a peninsula in the Gulf and it's main business is tourism." Sailfishing, snorkeling, ancient civiliazation ruins, etc.

Or tell them you don't question their life decisions why should they questioin yours :)

Edited: 08 April 2013, 19:58
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

Perhaps the best way to deal with those people who question Why Cancun? is to say nothing until you come back with a tan, loads of great pictures and stories of all the fun you had and then say it's too bad you feel the way you do, you really missed out on an amazing vacation.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

To those people take your thumb and index finger, put them in the shape of a capital L, and then point at them and laugh.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Annoyed by people's reactions

The first year we stayed at leBlanc. When we started telling them about our own butler, the liquore cabinet, the tuna sandwich brought to the beach lounger made from a freshly caught tuna their eyes started to glaze over-never was asked again :)