We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking food items to Mexico?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Taking food items to Mexico?

We've booked a one-bedroom at the Westin Lagunamar and would like to prepared a number of our meals ourselves since the resort has a full kitchen. I've not been to Cancun in a number of years but we travel to the Bahamas and stay at the Atlantis Harborside a couple times a year where there's a full kitchen as well. We've never had any trouble bringing our staples, spices, snacks, and even our frozen meats with us on those trips to the Bahamas . We wrap our frozen meats in newspaper then with duct tape and pack it in our checked luggage inside a small cooler with ice packs. The items are always still frozen solid when we arrive. I'm wondering if we can do the same for Mexico. We plan to purchase fresh fruits and veggies, water, juice, etc. when we get there but would really like to bring our own bacon and steaks and chicken breasts to grill. Just interested to know if this is doable? Thanks

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

Unfortunately the lists are only in Spanish but with this, http://www.freetranslation.com/ , you can easily copy and paste to translate if needed.

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=1&id=622

Be sure to see both what is permitted and what is not.

Requirements for ham & cheeses:

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=3694

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

Is it really worth carrying your food with you and spending money on extra baggage costs due to the weight when you're going to a city with WalMart, Sam's Club, Costco and other top quality grocery stores?

Cheryl

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

Just my experiences..When getting the Red light at MX Customs..

For the most part on dry goods, original mfgr sealed packages went thru..

Never tried meat product's repackaged..I would venture to say if you are Red lighted and the meats are found, they will be confiscated...

I have seen them confiscate 'slim jims' sealed snack sausage's...

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,937 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

We had a bag of beef jerkey in our luggage - unopenned, original packacking. The customs dog sniffed it out and it was taken from us by the customs agents. This is on the list of approved items, but they still took it.

Fresh and frozen meat is clearly prohibited.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

They took a way Feta Cheese I bought in Cstco Miami, apparently it was made in Israel, and Israeli milk product cannot cross to Mexico, Some USA milk product can be crossed, the French limited milk products can be crossed

How upsetting to spend money for some gourmet foods and they then confiscate it, Also no seeds are allowed , this will include rice, or wild rice, beans, sesame etc

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

There's decent meat available.

I really don't know about Mexico's importation laws, but you'd never be able to enter the US with meat.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

I have taken ham and bacon and butter also peanutbutter. A few years ago there was the mad cow scare so i dont think they allowed beef in at that time. But, yes you can bring food. I would try to keep everything in its original container and or sealed.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

You cannot bring meat, cheese, vegetables or fruits. Just because you brought something you shouldn't and got through with it, doesn't mean it is allowed.

They do pay attention. On our last trip, after the luggage went through the x-ray before the red light/green light, they opened my luggage, opened a sealed, original container of creamora, sniffed it, but then let it go. ( If his nose and/or hands had touched the stuff, it would have went in the garbage.)

Trust me, they can and will take whatever they decide to, whether it is allowed or not. I'd do as suggested, shop local.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

yes, mo, yop can bring meat. Been there , done that!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking food items to Mexico?

Do not do it.