We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding the Bus

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Topic
Riding the Bus

Just returned from Cancun and have to say we completely enjoyed traveling on the Cancun Bus system. Completely safe and very inexpensive. Just stand at the bus stop and either the driver or his partner will ask which resort you are staying at. best $1 you will ever spend. Lots of fun and since most of the other riders are tourists also, you get some interesting conversations.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
764 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Riding the Bus

I'm guessing it's more expensive because of it's a tourist area?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
764 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Riding the Bus

Once the bus we got on after an excusion was VERY nice, had video screens with music videos playing (in English)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,003 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Riding the Bus

"I'm guessing it's more expensive because of it's a tourist area?"

Yes, the local routes in Cancun are a lower price.

"Once the bus we got on after an excusion was VERY nice, had video screens with music videos playing (in English)"

That is not a city bus but Mexico has an excellent city to city bus system. I often ride the ADO buses and all are very nice.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
764 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Riding the Bus

Its was the 8.5 pecos bus.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Riding the Bus

There used to be a "fancy" bus called Bus One, we didn't see it when were there working on maps.

It was a little more expensive than the regular city buses maybe that's the one biscuitandhanksmommy is speaking of.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,003 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Riding the Bus

You are likely correct .mapchick. I do remember seeing the One bus but was never on it

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
764 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Riding the Bus

mapchick! Got my map Saturday. Awesomeness! I love the resturant pull out and where the info about what to tell the bus drivers or what to look for to get off.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Riding the Bus

Thank you! I think the bus can be confusing for people who don't normally use that kind of transportation and who are unfamiliar with Cancun. Glad you like it!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Riding the Bus

I actually rode on "Bus one" last visit. Didn't know that's what it was called.

Anyhow, everyone that comes to Cancun needs to experience a ride on on the bus. I have been on some white knuckle rides over the yrs for sure. . I have experienced several 60 mph rides with a brake checks at every red light or bus stop.. They are not driven hard, but very hard.

Since some one mentioned fast earlier.

Last visit, In a taxi, from playa Tortuga to the hotel. Several times the driver got up to120 km per hr when traffic permitted. I had to look at my spedo when I got home for the conversion. I was not far off.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 21:38
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Riding the Bus

whats the difference in the blue buses and the red ones?