We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

This is very odd. I've never seen this many reviews about illness. I'm really getting worried and we are traveling June 9-16. I would hate to have spent a great deal of money to only get there and barely eat because of fear I will get sick! I'm wondering what's going on. Management needs to step up. This will be our third return and we were pretty excited.

Best Seller
Tulum Ruins, Reef Snorkeling Plus...
136 reviews
from US$109.00*
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,055 reviews
from US$97.33*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,380 reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Tour and Cenote Swimming...
158 reviews
from US$49.00*
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
325 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

We just checked in. All looks good so far. Every looks happy and healthy but I will repot more as I find out more.

We just returned from a week in Akumal and emailed our broker. He contacted the hotel and was informed this all started with a group of ladies meeting at the royal. According to the hotel they got sick in downtown Playa del Carmen.

I have no idea who is telling the truth, so we we decided to risk it.

The Royal is the largest hotel in downtown Playa, so it would make sense they would have their share of illness.

Overall be cautious.

I will report more info as I hear it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

@caribbean5 Thanks a lot I'd like to hear whats going on there. It is funny that you say that, my guess was that some people from RPDC got sick there and spent half of their trip at RC and it went downhill from then. Their sick reviews started before RC.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

As always, hot food should be hot and cold food should be cold...The Rc's steam tables at Spice, leave a lot to be desired..Not hot enough...Stick with the pancakes, french toast for breakfast ..They open at 7 am, and I always tried to be standing at the front door when they opened..

Good Luck...

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
325 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

I am not sure about the royal in Cancun as we are at the royal playa dej Carmen. Have not heard anything negative in Cancun but I could be wrong

essex england
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

hi we going next sunday getting bit concerned but lets get it on will post if any probs

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

Could be possible that it did come from PDC. We were there in November and the illness was very widespread at the time we were down there .

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

@RayRockytwo Have safe travels and be really careful! Newest reviewer said that they did contract a parasite and had to be hospitalized for two days!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

Eat yogurt/Activia daily before you go and while you're here in Cancun. This will provide your system with the proper bacteria.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

Yogurt/Activia will not help if you contract a parasite. There are several different species, but only a few will show symptoms within a day or two of eating/drinking contaminated items. Those could be from contaminated meats which are undercooked. I'm wondering, if it is affecting both resorts, if it is their meat supplier. Just a thought.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 01:06
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else going to the royal concerned about illness?

I hadn't realized that it had been confirmed that a parasite was involved. Oh, I don't think that it has, only a lot of speculation that I'm surprised is being allowed to continue...

Edited: 03 May 2013, 01:16