We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

WAYNE NJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

has anyone had dentl implants done & if so where ? looking to do this in the fall but need to check out our options.

thank you

Boston
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

Implants surgical portion take a few months to heal before you can start on the restorative portion. You will need to fly down there at least two times and possibly three or four times. Medical problem or bone loss can make it fail quite often. Make sure it's worth your saving of time and money. There are places in near NJ doing implant for $750 each, if you just search.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

Wow, why would you travel to Mexico to get a dental implant? I had one and the entire process took over a year till tooth pulled, healed, implant, healed and then crown. I had an absolutely wonderful doctor and had NO pain whatsoever. till you'd get done flying several times down and back to Mexico, you'd all but have paid for the implant up here. Good luck!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

This is an exceedingly bad idea in my opinion. My wife had 6 implants inserted, perfect bone density (remarked by the dentist how good her bone density was),. Five years of losing implants as the bone around the implants all slowly eroded away and at least 10 attempts at appliances and $20,000 later, they finally had to surgically remove the last remaining implant!

That's a lot of trips to Mexico if you have any issues.

Level Contributor
4,562 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

This is just scary to think of having done..

Then to think of being in another country while being ` anesthesia `(don't know the correct plural).

You don't have the liberal visit ~ etc etc. What will you do if there is pain. What if there happens to be an infection? Where will you go? What will you do?

Florida City...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

Great advice. Implants are a serious dental procedure that could turn into a nightmare and not very cost effective. I had some minor dental work done at Cancun Cosmetic Dentistry done by Dr.German Arzate that turned out badly. My problems were minor compared to several other people that went to the same clinic. Some have actually lost teeth because of shoddy dental procedures and are paying upwards of 35 and 45 grand to fix their dental work.

So if anyone is thinking of a dental trip anywhere you better check for complaints first and make sure the dentists is very qualified and carries malpractice insurance.

As they say one bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch but you better not bite into the wrong one (pun intended).

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

Sorry to her that, I am facing the same problem, had 3 implants good bone density, now the bone is eroding and had one removed, and need to remove the other two as well. I don't know if it is worth having then removed in Cancun as I will be there in afew weeks time?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

The problem with having dental work (or cosmetic work, for that matter) in Mexico (or anywhere else far from home) is that if things don't go exactly as planned, it can be a very, VERY expensive to get it fixed. If going back to the original dentist is an option, you've got the cost of a flight to Mexico and the time commitment involved with that. If things go badly wrong and travelling back to Mexico isn't possible, you may have a difficult time finding anyone to fix someone else's work. What's more, it's likely be to very expensive - much more so than if the "fixer" had done the work from scratch.

I've seen numerous posts from people who've had work done that they were very pleased with and they saved a significant amount of dough in the process. However, I've also seen posts from people where things did not go so well. Thoroughly researching the dentist you plan on going to can certainly help reduce the risk but ultimately, it IS a risk. Even with the best dentist in the world, things can go wrong and every individual heals differently and it may be that you're that one-in-a-million patient who reacts in an adverse way - either to the meds they give you or the process itself.

Whatever you decide to do, go into it with your eyes open and if you do take the plunge and get the work done in Mexico, please make sure you have also researched your options if you do require some form of follow up care or work.

Good luck!

Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

Laki 22, only having a few weeks time or maybe your there by now wont give you time enough to research before you choose a dentist. for that procedure. The dentist that put them in should remove them or if he/she cant be trusted then maybe get on at a dental school to have it done if money is a factor. Its really a gamble with dental tourism and as mentioned research is key and having extra money put aside if it turns terribly wrong.

Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

Went to the same clinic you did Vegablue and it was dreadful. With fast deteriorating materials used and huge gaps left in between crown and gum. Cost way more money to fix the problems and they didn't refund our money. I would never do another dental trip especially there. They ruined our vacation.... a real letdown.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,441 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dental implants in cancun or riviera maya ??

I have not had implants but when I need dental work---or any major medical care-- I do what most of my Mexican friends do and have it done in Merida. Merida has some of the finest medical care in the country. It is even very popular with citizens of Belize who travel to Merida for their medical care.