We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking laptops on holiday?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking laptops on holiday?

Just wondering, do people take their laptops for watching films/listening to music etc to Cancun?

Or, would it be too high risk to think about taking a laptop and keeping it in my hotel room?

Thanks

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

We bring ours, and it's always okay! I guess look at the reviews for your hotel and see if there are complaints of stolen property. Have a good trip!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

I always bring mine everywhere, for work, as I need to keep in touch. We lock it in our safe or a suitcase that we bring combination lock for, just for this purpose.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,690 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

I used to take a netbook on trips (not Cancun specifically, but in general) but have switched to a tablet - I've had my tablet for a couple years and taken it several places. I much prefer it to a laptop since it is smaller and easier to carry, takes up less space, etc. The only downsides are that I can't really download pictures from memory cards and if I am on a trip where I keep a journal, typing is MUCH slower without a regular keyboard.

Smithers
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

We have always brought ours and I have to say we have never locked it up. We lock our wallets ect in the safe but our laptop, kindle, blackberrys, camera and other electronics we have always left in the room on the dresser, table or wherever with no problems in 5 years.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

I'm bringing mine for the first time and may or may not watch something. I have loads of unwatched stuff on it so will watch a lot on the flight on the way over.(10.5 hr flight). I can use it for Skype to home as well because our hotel(s) have ethernet so cannot use my smartphone on the non existent WIFI.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

I prefer the laptop and take it everywhere I travel in Mexico. I always set it up on the desk in my room when I arrive and leave it there until I depart. Never a problem.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

Thanks guys... I've decided to bring it along, as 3 weeks without my laptop I couldn't imagine... as I use it for everything from usual computer stuff/work stuff to watching TV/films, listening to music etc etc lol

Downside is, that's my whole hand luggage allowance out the window, as it comes in at 4.8kg in the bag with charger :o/

Edited: 09 May 2013, 19:48
Ireland
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

What airline are you flying if that's all the carry on allowance you get?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

I'm on Thomson (TOM144) from Manchester Saturday morning... Allowance is 15kg Hold and 5kg Cabin.

Or I can pay extra for 20kg Hold and 7kg Cabin allowance, which is £35 tho! :o(

Edited: 09 May 2013, 20:12
Ireland
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking laptops on holiday?

Wow, we have 18kgs already in our bags without the toileteries and straightners and stuff. BA gives us 23kg which is fine but judging by their website:

A 23kg (51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag unaided into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin.

I assumed about 8kg but 23kg. britishairways.com/travel/…en_ie

Shocking!

I'm also in Premium Economy outbound so get 64kg EACH across two bags so including the hand luggage we get 96kg each!. Even I'm shocked reading that.

Also my Ultrabook is only 1.73kg but my last Laptop was 2.6kg