We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jogger's Warning

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,149 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Jogger's Warning

After reading this in today's newspapers, I think a warning to joggers may be in order. According to reports in Novedades newspaper, a South Korean tourist, at about 3PM yesterday, was running on the bike path that is located at kilometer 21 of the Kukulcan Boulevard, when she was attacked by a man, with a knife who abused her. I am not very familiar with the area, so here , translated, is how the newspaper describes it.

"The young South Korean left in the direction of where the hotel Westin Resort is located at kilometer 20 of the boulevard; .... and entered an area where mangrove and little policing. She found herself facing a subject, apparently a mason, who pulled a knife from his clothes"

Police were not able to locate the subject.

sipse.com/novedades/abusan-turista-surcorean…

Edited: 14 May 2013, 12:06
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jogger's Warning

Thanks for posting this Robert.

A stark reminder that common sense and personal situational awareness should prevail regardless of one's location. Crime is *everywhere*.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,149 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jogger's Warning

I agree, bellas. For the most part, the hotel zone is safe. But always need to be observant and aware of surroundings. And, according to the news, they haven´t caught this person.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jogger's Warning

Thanks for the warning before TA remove this post.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jogger's Warning

I know the area where the attack happened. It is quite isolated down on the far south end of the hotel zone. Like bellasogno said "common sense and personal situational awareness should prevail regardless of one's location" If you are going out for a jog alone maybe it is a better idea to do so in a busier section of the zone. Even though I consider the Hotel Zone to be in general very safe, Crime is everywhere and if you make yourself an easy target you unfortunately can invite crime. Sorry to hear the woman was attacked and I hope the person is found.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jogger's Warning

Agree with everyone, Km 21 is going away from the hotel zone in a more isolated area. How awful for this woman :(

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jogger's Warning

Glad to know she is OK. Yes, this will prob get removed pretty quick.

I'm familiar with that area. That's no mans land for sure. . I would not go there alone and I'm a guy. Very little policing, no people around, little traffic, plenty of places to hide.. You have to assume the creeps know that too. If you underestimate the intelligence of a creep, you are at a disadvantage right outta the gate. . Same rules apply as at home for isolated areas. Stay away if you have no one with you. Especially females!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jogger's Warning

KM 21 is where the new Nizuc Resort & Spa is located. It is open and there still is a lot of construction and workers in the area. Also this is the main route for most airport traffic entering the Hotel Zone.

15 hours = 3 PM. If the person was on the bike path and no one saw anything, I find this hard to believe.

The 'buddy system' should be followed at all times. There's safety in numbers.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jogger's Warning

Yup was thinking the same thing it is where all that construction is for Nizuc Resort & Spa, way to isolated over there and not sure why anyone would stay there never mind be out jogging over there. a very isolated area over there to be out walking or jogging by themself and if it was mason good chance part of the construction crew?

9. Re: Jogger's Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 06:20