We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick question about packing

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Quick question about packing

Hello all,

I was wondering if you would lend me your expertise... I'm heading to the Yucatan Peninsula with my boyfriend next week. It's both of our first time going to Mexico. We're going to be staying at the Catalonia Riviera Maya and would like to do a few of their tours to the ruins. What type of shoes would you recommend we bring to wear on these tours? I'm unsure how much hiking/climbing/etc. we'll be doing. Bf is thinking about tennis shoes. I was thinking of a pair of sturdy sandals I have (similar to Birkenstocks) but am not sure. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,278 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick question about packing

We never take hikers or sneakers or runners or tennies (take your pic of whatever term you want, lol).

Too hot to wear closed shoes...IMO.

A sturdy pair of sports sandals will do you just fine.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick question about packing

I'd suggest tevas or other walking sandals. Birks are great for hanging around but the ruins have uneven, unpaved paths. It's not really "hiking" but more like rough path walking.

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick question about packing

My husband hates sport sandals, tevas or whatever. He wears his tennis shoes with shorts on the plane trip. I have tevas and those are just fine for anything we're going to do. To each his/her own. Most importantly, realize that it's not necessarily just hiking but uneven unpaved paths that are at lots of places.

Cheryl

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick question about packing

We usually wear the sturdy walking style sandals, and we do a lot of walking!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick question about packing

Wow thank you for all your responses! Definitely going to look into some Tevas.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick question about packing

Look for discounted sandals at DSW or Kohl's or other sales. No need to pay full price ever.

Cheryl

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick question about packing

I'm not a big fan of what I call 'sneakers' or any enclosed type shoe BUT whenever we do go to any of the ruins or even uneven surface type places, I do wear them to protect my feet. Also, I hate it when little rocks or grains of sand get into even my flip-flops!

To each their own of course!

ETA: I even wear sneakers to walk the pups down here!

Edited: 22 May 2013, 02:59
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick question about packing

We just did Chichen Itza, Ek Balum, Coba and Tulum. WEAR TENNIS SHOES. You will want the support and protection of your toes for climbing. Some of the ruiin steps are slippery from the wear and tear and some are uneven as they were built that way. You can cool your feet off after you climb. Take flip flops or whatever you want to put on after you climb and hike.

Spray with mosquito repellent especially in Coba.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick question about packing

In town or at the resort I find sandals are just fine. That said, doing excursions (especially the ruins) I am firmly in the camp of good walking shoes. We have seen all kinds of shoes and sandals worn by people at the ruins. However, (as mentioned) I highly recommend a comfortable pair of walking shoes (tennis shoes are OK) at the ruins. While the terrain is basically flat, it is not smooth and there are rocks, gravel, small holes, some roots, brush, and insect’s that can be hard on unprotected feet (as in sandals). You are in a subtropical climate and you do not want to get a cut (or bite) on your feet with the possibility of infection.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick question about packing

I run just about every morning - vacation, business trips, home (regardless of where I am! whether it be Cancun, London, Paris...) so of course I always bring my running sneakers. In fact, like another poster mentioned I usually wear them on the plane so they don't take a lot of space in my roller bag. My husband does the same. And the beauty of sneakers is that they can be used for hiking or just a lot of walking. FYI. I wear black ASICs, so they aren't quite as eye-blindingly white as many sneakers can be :-)