We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with departure time for transfer

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with departure time for transfer

We are staying at Sandos Cancun and our return flight is at 6:50 a.m. We pre-booked a transfer with Canada Transfers and the pick-up time is 3:50 a.m. Will this process really take 3 hours? Any insight is appreciated- thank you!

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

The standard for pick-up is generally around 3 hrs. prior to departure. That said, depending upon airline I suppose, the ticket counter (for United) doesn't even open for check-in until about 5:00 am. By the time you get picked up and make it to the airport, you probably wom't have too much of a wait until it opens. I prefer to be there with ample time for traffic, breakdowns, long lines at counter, security, etc., and would be happy with that pick-up time for that flight. It is much better to have a bit too much time to chill than barely squeak by getting to the gate on time or worse yet missing your flight altogether.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

The airlines want you to arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure when flying internationally. All of the shuttles will do this, they don't want to be responsible for you missing your flight.

You could just take a taxi to the airport instead of a shuttle.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

Thank you both! I agree better to be safe.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,846 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

Cancun airport can be an absolute nightmare. I've personally endured check-in lines that were not far off an hour long ... and given how much longer the line had grown by the time we were done, I dread to think how long the people at the back had to wait. Follow that with a lengthy wait at Security and you won't have much time leftover by the time you get to the gate.

Conversely, I've walked right up to an empty check in desk and breezed through Security all in about 10 mintues before, so you really never know.

I dislike hanging around airports as much as the next person but the stress and potential expense of a missed or nearly missed flight is so NOT how I want to end my vacation, so I always go with the pick-up time my private transfer recommends (based on the logic that they know far more about local road and airport traffic patterns than I do).

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

Great advice. Thanks!

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

Great advice. Thanks!

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

Great advice. Thanks!

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

That early in the morning you should be fine but it's better to be safe than sorry plus it'll give you time to eat something as the buffet won't be open when you leave.

9. Re: Help with departure time for transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 05:17