We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
602 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

Earlier this month my wife and I split a week at Sun Palace and Le Blanc, and so here is our comparison. Note that we had not originally intended to stay at Le Blanc but switched that portion of our trip from The Royal after reading all the possible issues with illness.

Our opinion was that Le Blanc is definitely the better resort but that it does not come close to warranting the difference in price.

Le Blanc wins handily on service and resort grounds. Service is excellent at Sun Palace but outstanding+ at Le Blanc. That said, we are quite happy with the level at Sun Palace. Things like having a butler fill your ice bucket or unpack for you are not things we value. Regarding the grounds, the pools/beach area at Le Blanc is great. Each resort has 3 pools, but Le Blanc's create 3 distinct areas, including one in back that gets you sun late in the day, whereas Sun Palace has one moderately sized pool and and two very small ones. Sun Palace pool area is the weak link of the resort. Beach is great at both. So we give Le Blanc huge edges in these categories.

Sun Palace has better rooms. I think that's true even without the balcony issue, but include that you won't have a balcony at Le Blanc except for top tier rooms, and that's a win for Sun Palace for us. We really like a balcony.

On food, if Le Blanc has an edge it's small. Buffets at breakfast/lunch are very similar and great at both. I noticed New York Strip was the top cut of steak at Le Blanc buffet, whereas it was sirloin at Sun Palace. Dinners may be slightly better at Le Blanc although we thought their signature French restaurant was poor. Obviously many like it, so opinions vary. Regarding mixed drinks, these were good at Sun Palace but outstanding at Le Blanc. House wine is poor at both. Beer is unremarkable at both.

In our experience the guests probably overlapped 60% (in other words, if you looked around at both resorts about 60% of the people might have been at either resort). The other 40% was mainly attributable to younger couples at Sun Palace who I assume were mostly on a very rare splurge, probably their honeymoon. I don't think there are many guests splurging in the same way at Le Blanc, given the price point.

OK, so those are our opinions, and obviously many will see things differently. Overall, we noticed the differences but were surprised they weren't bigger given the price difference.

Best Seller
Tulum Ruins, Reef Snorkeling Plus...
133 reviews
from US$109.00*
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,049 reviews
from US$97.33*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,378 reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Tour and Cenote Swimming...
158 reviews
from US$49.00*
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

Sirloin is the best cut of beef at SP? No filet or ribeye? That seems really strange for a resort at that price point.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

Good comparisons

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

LeBlanc does indeed serve filet in their restaurants. She was referring to the buffet.

We love LB (4 great stays) and have only visited SP while staying there. We have no interest in a stay there as the resort overall did not appeal to us.

A balcony is a non issue for us and the overall sophisticated vibe at LB is something we really enjoy as well as the diverse demographic and outstanding service.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
602 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

Yes, we found that Le Blanc overall had a more sophisticated vibe, for example including live music (violin one night) in the lobby at times. And no music in the pool areas, whereas Sun Palace definitely had pop music at times at the main pool. I had read a number of reviews noting the diverse demographics at Le Blanc, but during our stay we were disappointed that that was generally not true. A small number of guests were from Asia (and several of these couples were married at the resort), but otherwise it appeared to be far and away American and Canadian.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

Thanks for the nice comparison, krupina. Sounds like you enjoyed both resorts but felt like for the price difference the Sun was certainly the better choice?

6. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 14:35
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

Great comparisons and agree with most everything you stated. The no balcony was the deal breaker for us.I would rather fill my own ice bucket and unpack my clothes and have a balcony to sit on! Sun Palace over Le Blanc in our book (price much better too). We actually returned to Sun Palace on a subsequent vacation..which is rare for us..always want a new experience, so don't stay at same place usually more then once.

Amherst, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

I have been to Sun Palace several times and love it. I would love to try LeBlanc, but 2 things keep me from doing that. The first is the balcony. Hubby goes to bed early and sleeps late. I'm a night owl and watch the sun rise. Without the balcony, I would either have to leave the room or watch him sleep (and snore!). The Balcony is our second room and keeps us both happy.

The second reason is my husband will not eat french food. I just couldn't imagine going to LeBlanc and not eating at the french restaurant. So, because I kinda like my guy and want to have happy vacations, I don't know if I'll ever go to LeBlanc unless I want to put out for a Governors or Presidential Suite. Really too bad as I got a free LeBlanc week with my membership, but we will probably just sell that week.

Thanks for your contribution. I also found your compare/contrast very good.

Howell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

I just returned from my first trip to Le Blanc last week and totally agree with your comparisons. While we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Le Blanc, we have had fantastic vacations at other Palace Resorts.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Palace vs. Le Blanc, our opinion

It really depends on one's priorities. We have only stayed at one other Palace resort, Beach, and it was one of the most disappointing AI experiences in MX. Awful food, time share hounding was constant, beds were rocks and it was so cramped and loud at main pool. Would not return. Visiting SP and seeing the jam packed pool area, lack of shade, mediocre gym and spa and overall ambiance, we would not consider a stay there either. Have also spent a half day at Isla and would not stay there either.

LeBlanc has always had music by the pool during our 4 visits, just not the grating techo/pop stuff so many resorts have on a continuous loop. And while we enjoy a balcony sometimes, it simply is not an issue for us at Le Blanc.

By diverse I meant age ranges and not all couples, not what countries were represented.

One man's trash is definitely another's treasure. Looking forward to our November stay at LeBlanc very much.