We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back after 9 days at the Sands

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
350 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Just back after 9 days at the Sands

Oh how winter #%@^$* Stinks.........Just some quick info for those who are curios:

Beaches

Absolutely fine.............I walked up and down the coast each side of the Royal Sands and the beaches are fine. There is less than there was 5 years ago, but nothing to panic about, plenty of sand for everyone.

Ocean conditions

Again, no big deal. There were concerns about undertows, etc on these boards. Truthfully, I thought it was much more calm this trip than in the past. We had 2 days straight with very calm waves.

Weather

Awesome.....ignore weather.com or accuweather.com........I found the forcasts to be a joke, they were calling for clouds and temps in the low 70's for 3 days when we were down there, and all we had was sun, and it was HOT.

There is a quite of new construction at many of the malls on the strip. The mall near the sands is completely torn apart, so avoid it. (where ruth's Chris steakhouse is) La Isla is really nice now and they are adding an addition to it. Carlos and Charleys has moved next to Coco Bongo and the Flea market....nice location, but not as big. Margaritaville has decent drinks, but it is EXPENSIVE, and the food stinks. If you have kids under the age of 10, do not buy them a bus ticket. The bus is now 6.5 pesos. Finally, the airport has greatly improved! The walk of hell is nothing like it used to be. Most vendors are restricted to outside the terminal. Avoid the men in blue shirts, they just want tips to drag your bags 20 feet. And if you get private transportation, your driver will be outside of the building behind the gates. Also, save your baggage tags, they won't let you claim your luggage without them, actually kind of nice, minimizes the chances of someone walking away with it.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
The Royal Sands Resort...
5,129 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Coco Bongo Cancun
Coco Bongo Cancun
15,705 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
85 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

We will be at the Sands this Sat. Do you know if they have irons in the rooms? When you use your room key to buy drinks or whatever and the end of the stay is it broke out by each card on one bill or is it just all the charges and you can not tell who in your room charged it?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

FYI, You get an itemized copy of the purchases made by key, so you can get several keys to keep things straight.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

...and they do have irons and ironing boards in the rooms

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

Jugdish -- you're right on about not believing weather.com or accuweather.com or any of those websites about the weather down there...I've been preaching that for years....To be honest, I would head to cancuncare.com and check out the weather thread on their message board -- it actually provides reports from people that actually live down there!! Glad you enjoyed the Sands -- I've always loved the place, and would love to return there soon!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

Welcome back Jugdish!

You said not to buy a bus ticket for kids under 10. Are you saying that kids ride the bus for free?

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

Yey - nice to hear - my b/f and I are off to the Sands this Saturday!

Question - I think Cancunfirstimer mentioned this in some other thread - are there hair dryers in LOCK-OFFS?

If not, would you happen to know if US hairdryer can be plugged in in the lock-off, or would one need one of those power adapter? if so, can the adapter be lent by the hotel?

Jugdish, sounds like you had a great trip - can't wait :)

n

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

how was the entertainment staff??? I think Usi might work there now, when i went to cancun, he was there for the first week i was there at El Pueblito and then he switched to Royal Sands. HE was amazing. How did u find him?

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
The Royal Sands Resort...
5,129 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Central America
Level Contributor
339 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

Weatherdood -

My husband and I have always joked that being a weatherman in Cancun has to be one of the easiest jobs known to man? Do you agree??

I'm sure it has it's hassles during hurrican season, but overall, a pretty easy job right?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
350 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

We were there for 9 days and were in 2 separate villas and both lockoff's DID have hair driers. However, only the suite has an iron and ironing board. The staff was very enthusiastic, especially during the pool aerobic session. It was somewhat entertaining to watch. And to those who are wondering, the Sands does have a full time lifeguard.

As for the bus, we had an inspector ask for tickets only once and that was right when we got there..........he told me we did not need to buy a ticket for our kids, and the oldest child in our group was 10.

Now for the important news.........Sands Happy Hour........Holy Underwear!!! Happy hour started at 2:00 and went till 7:00!! Drinks are half price and free Nachos and Salsa delivered to your spot at the pool or the beach, it was great. I am so glad my inlaws own 3 consecutive weeks.........ah the life.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back after 9 days at the Sands

Sure, you could always say it'll be partly cloudy with a chance of showers....but how good of a chance?? That's awfully tricky....also, being able to time what time any rain would begin and where it would come from would be problematic as well.

Temperatures would be very easy to forecast, as there's little variability all year long....

I try making my own forecasts for Cancun in advance of my trips, and a little while I'm down there, and I compare them to some of the local media outlets as well as the newspaper, weather.com, etc....While I've found that I'm fairly accurate, I still have much to learn...

All in all, is it easy to forecast down there? For the most part, yes...But is it the easiest place to forecast? No...try Phoenix, LA, San Diego....

Don't know if you were looking for such a long response, but us weather guys tend to talk a lot :)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
San Diego
San Diego
California