We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

Already planning next years summer holiday and Cancun is one of the places we are looking at. As a wheelchair user, how accessible is the area?

texas
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

The sidewalks are pretty uneven so I guess it depends on how much you’ll be out and about and of course the resort/hotel you’re staying at.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

I don't know anything about the area as such, just heard friends/family recommending it when they've been. Ideally would like to be located near to the main beach and close to nightlife/restaurants. I can push pretty well by myself and would be with family so they can assist pushing if needs be.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,648 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

In general , I think Cancun and other Mexican cities do much better than before. But, its likely not up to the standards you are accustomed to in the UK. And , as said, sidewalks can be uneven and poorly maintained.

You can probably get by if you have some help, at times.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

Look through resorts. Many have elevators to all levels and accessible public areas and restaurants. Most of the restaurants in the hotel zone have ramps. Post back when you've figured out some options that you're interested in. All inclusive? EP? Hotel zone or Mayan Riv?

For transportation, specify when you book a van for transfer that you have a chair to transport. Also, cabs come in SUV size too that easily transport a chair.

Cheryl

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

Mexico per say is mot very handicapped friendly, I remember seeing a ramp on a street corner for wheelchair actability which was great except about 10 feet down the sidewalk was a light pole smack in the middle of the narrow sidewalk.........

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

Perhaps because the resort is brand new, and may have more accomodations than an old place, you might want to check Secrets The Vine. We just got back from there and did happen to notice 2 different people in wheelchairs.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

It is probably better than most Caribbean locations, but as someone who did accessibility inspections at part of my job, I would say most areas are far below US standards. I would also say Cancun is bad for walkability as well. PDC may be a better option. At least you have 5th Ave.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

5th Ave in Playa is absolutely painful for a wheelchair. I was wheelchair bound two years ago and spent a week at the Royal Haciendas just north of Playa (very accessible, ramps everywhere, broad passages, accessible villa available with roll in showers), and elevators. The hardest part was going in to Playa to shop. Not user friendly at all on some of the street.

In Cancun I had better luck with La Isla mall, Kukulkan Plaza and staying at The Royal Resorts. They have Amigo Scooters for rent through the resort and have wheelchairs for guests to use free of charge. They are all accessible with ramps and elevators.

Cheryl

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

I know that the Royal Sands is very accessible for wheelchairs. I also saw a lift at the pool for people in wheelchairs at the Westin Lagunamar. The Westin Lagunamar would be a good location, right across from La Isla Mall where there are shops & restaurants. Like others have mentioned the sidewalks aren't the greatest, but if you spend most of your time at the resort you should be fine. Good luck!!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Cancun wheelchair friendly?

There are spots that are quite accessible (the municipal beach in Playa del Carmen has surf wheelchairs available) and others that are maddeningly inaccessible. You'll find a smooth, beautiful sidewalk with steel cables running across it from a utility pole that makes it difficult for an unimpaired walker to pass. It's really all over the place in Mexico.

For a specific resort, you may find impressively good accessibility but out in town you will likely run into a lot of barriers.