We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

We are a couple in our early 30's who have never been to Mexico before. I am trying to choose between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen to stay in. From what I have read PDC seems to have most the trump cards in that its closer to a lot of attractions like Coba and Tulum, Cozumel is a short distance and the town has more of a Mexican feel. Also its not far off Cancun in terms of nightlife.

However I would appreciate your thoughts on this - what does Cancun have which trumps PDC?

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

In Cancun, everything is a short, cheap ( less than $1 ) bus ride away, which is super convenient. Also, in my opinion, the beaches are better and the water color is unmatchable. In Playa, unless you are within walking distance to 5th avenue, you must either cab or take the ADO bus from certain locations. I love both....

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,513 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

ttcl1 has very good points...

For me, though, I can't get over the "city" feeling I get while in Cancun. I believe its from all of the high rise hotels. I have figured out that I prefer more spread out resorts that are no more than 3 or 4 stories.

Its just a personal preference though. You can have great vacations at both.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

I prefer Cancun over Playa. I like the big hotels, and the energy that goes with the city. The color of the water, and the beaches rules in the hotel zone.

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

We try to alternate between Cancun and PDC. We do all-inclusives when in Cancun and boutique hotels when staying in PDC. I love the color of the water in Cancun but love all the beach bars and massage huts along the beach inPDC. Depending on how long your vacation is maybe you could split time at both locations.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

We love them both but we prefer Cancun. The water is the most amazing color and the beaches are lovely. We prefer more compact properties with amazing ocean views...I like to see the sea from my balcony. You can do this in Playa but at some places you will pay a fair bit more. Once in the hotel we don't notice the "city" feel of Cancun except when you want to go shopping or to a club. Playa has more of the Mexican feel and more spread out resorts though many are still close together. If you go to Playa stay close to 5th ave so you can walk there. Playa is close to some of the big tourist attractions and closer to Cozumel. In Cancun you are close to Isla Mujeres though. It takes you longer to get to Playa from the airport but once there you are closer to some tours. Maybe see what tours you really will do and have that influence your decision. We love 5th ave but some people hate it with all of the store keepers trying to get you in to their store....that is all part of the experience for us. You can't go wrong with either place. The kind of hotel and price will probably influence you as well. Half the fun is the planning!!

6. Re: Advantages of Cancun over Playa Del Carmen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 07:18