My friends and I are planning a trip to Cancun from September 1-8 and some of the things we'd like to do are snorkelling, caves, ruins, etc.) I am slightly confused about how to best organize our activities, where or who to book with, etc. We are staying in the hotel zone for 7 nights. Our hotel isn't confirmed yet, but we're thinking it is going to be the Hyatt Regency Cancun. Also, should we book in advance or wait until we arrive and book thru our hotel? Since we are new to visiting Mexico and will be unfamiliar with the language and local area, we will likely need to be picked up and dropped off at our hotel. We will probably need a guide, as well, for some of these activities.
Here's a little bit more detail about what we're interested in:
- we are new to it, but i think I'd personally find a life jacket somewhat restrictive. is it required and are their companies that are more lenient? I'm an excellent swimmer. it would be great to be able to have a lot of movement in the water without having to wear a life jacket. we'd like to see fish, coral, etc. we really want to see something when we go snorkelling and for it to be a very memorable experience.
2) Akumal Bay
- we'd love to see the sea turtles and swim with them. i've read that this is the best spot?
- how is the snorkelling here?
- anywhere else we can see sea turtles and their babies?
3) Cave Crossing Expedition at ecopark Kantun Chi
- After looking into the reviews more, this place looks amazing!
4) XEL-HA, CHICHEN ITZA, TULUM RUINS
- we want to see the ruins of an ancient mayan city while we're in mexico and these places seem to be the more popular ones? we are completely open to your suggestions here. ideally, we can afford to maybe see 2 of them while we're on vacation. if you have a suggestion, by all means, please let me know. ideally, we'd love to be able to explore inside the ruins of a temple and not just walk around a roped off exhibit of one. we are looking for the complete package though!
- is xel-ha park really worthwhile for an entire day? it seems like it has received a lot of mixed reviews.
- this is on our list of things to do, as well. can we just go to the beach near our hotel in the hotel zone and do it right there, or should we look for a local company nearby.
Thanks for your input!