We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

I use Kayak to search flights. Lately I see fares showing up that are labeled "Major Airline". You are unable to see the carrier or exact arrival/departure times (they show a range of one hour or so) until you purchase. For example:

Due to the low price, the full details for this flight are hidden. To offer you this special fare, the name of the airline and exact travel details for this itinerary have been hidden until you purchase the fare. Upon booking completion the airline and travel details will be revealed.

Has anyone booked a flight this way? I'm seeing some attractive prices to multiple destinations.

Springboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Kayak is a pretty reputable place I get alerts from them but have never booked through them. Having said that I wouldn't have a problem using them.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 00:28
Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Peter,

There are many posts on here warning people of the pitfalls of using 3rd party sites to book air travel.

Please consider very carefully before you purchase and the trouble you might encounter should something go wrong with your trip. It's always easier to deal directly with the airline than it is to deal through a 3rd party.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Kayak is very reputable and has a good reputation. Cofounders of Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz started KAYAK in 2004. You can book nothing directly through Kayak. They compare prices on other sites and send you to that site for booking. The Airfare.com is also reputable, having been around for about 35 years.

Having said that, I would never book a fare where the airlines are unknown. Have you looked carefully at the times and number of flights involved? The low airfares can involve multiple airlines and long layover times, some I have seen are even overnight. Be very careful.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Agree with RobertSDF, and I like dealing directly with the airline instead of going through a travel agency. Just me, but I don't like a 3rd party being involved if their is an issue with travel. However, If there is a SUPER good deal through an on line travel agency and I know the air lines, times and layovers I would use one. And I have in the past, but in the past 8 years I have delt directly with the airlines when booking airfares.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

I normally book directly with the airline or Expedia. I have booked "unknown" hotels via Expedia and gotten some great deals -- often a room at half off or even better. Not sure I trust booking an "unknown" airline, though...

Springboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

If they tell you it is a major carrier than it will be. But I would come the airline sites to see what you can find.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Can you provide the specifics on your search. I cannot get the same Priceline like comment.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 14:54
Southern California
Level Contributor
12,618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Well I'm picky about my flight times so I wouldn't do it, but that is just my opinion. I try to book direct with the airline and did so last trip, had a great flight on Virgin America.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

CO_Pilot, a fare like this is not showing up in my searches for Cancun this morning, though it was last night..

I can get one to show up for another potential trip to Cartagena, Colombia. If I put in IND to CTG, 12/25/2013 to 12/31/2013, the cheapest flight is "Major Airline". What is peculiar is that it shows a flight with only one stop, no other flights with one stop exist.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used Kayak to book a fare via Airfare.com?

Actually, I can see what they are doing. If I go to airfare.com and do the same search, I can see the flight. In the case of the above example, it is American and Avianca. The price is the same as what is referenced via Kayak. I'm afraid I don't understand why Kayak is hiding this information, if it can quickly be found on another site.