We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

Hi folks

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who was on flight TCX148 from Manchester to Cancun which was delayed by 24 hours on 4th June due to hydraulic problems with plane and if they have had any success in getting compensation from Thomas Cook

Likewise people whose return to the UK on TCX149 which was also delayed by 24 hours

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

You should get compensation, but I suspect you will have to fight for it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

Thanks

We are having to flight for it which is why I was wanting to know how others are getting on

I do know of one couple who have been compensated as per EC 261/2004 for flight delay on TCX149

Level Contributor
208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

This was on Watchdog a few weeks ago. They will try and wriggle out of it. Why not try Watchdog again as they might be interested in an update to the story.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

I saw your original post in the Air Travel Forum. The first thought that crossed my mind is "What do you think the fair compensation is for a single lost day out of a 21 day vacation?" Perhaps only the cost of the accomodations not used? That probably comes to a few hundred US dollars considering the accomodations were at Paradisus La Perla? If you ultimately reached your destination in the same class of cabin that you booked, I don't know why compensation can be calculated on anything more than the cost of your accomodations.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

Nicole

It is covered by a piece of EC legislation 261/2004 and the compensation is calculated by two factors - the length of the delay and flight

www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?pageid=12766

In our case the compensation should be 600 Euros each and TC have already settled one case that I know of on that basis

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

It was so odd that the post was closed and then opened. I am glad that it is back up as this is where the Mexico travelers who were affected will see it, even though it is an air travel topic. But in this case, specfic to Mexico/UK travel. The thought that I had to share was that, t 600 Euro p/p, I can fully understand why the airline is motivated to fight any claims. To compensate 1200 Euro for a delay that cost you, out of pocket, perhaps 400 Euro does seem extreme. There should be a more fair way to calculate the actual value of lost travel based on out of pocket loss. A person renting a private yacht at $2000 per day would not be compensated enough but the person travelling to their own vacation home would be making out like a bandit, It does seem greedy though to quibble over more than your actual loss and try to shake the system for more than your share. This is my general attitude about such things, not the specfic situation in which you find yourself, FFM. I understand that the reg's need to have some kind of specific "scale" upon which compensation is calculated. It is my opinion that the scale, by its nature, will overcompensate (if they ever DO pay out) for small inconveniences and, at the same time, undercompensate people for whom one day of travel is costing them alot of money out of pocket. There should be a better, and more fair way, to compensate people more exactly for delays and/or cancellations. Maybe this is a great opportunity to remind people that insurance is a good thing to have in case you cannot persevere against the corporation.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,517 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6675015…

You already have a thread on this, no?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,700 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

tripadvisor.co.uk/…51334889

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

We live in a greedy claim culture worldwide now and people will try and claim for anything, Nicole is right the Airline will put up a fight, what do people expect? it had a hydraulic problem it had to be sorted out, these things can happen, would you rather it set off with the fault?, no one likes to be delayed but as long as you had something to eat and they put you up what's the issue?

Edited: 16 July 2013, 19:42
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TCX148 & TCX149 24 hour flight delay

This thread was posted on the Cancun Forum and moved here by TA

What I was trying to do is as the post says find others effected by the same flight delay as TC do not seem to be treated all claims in the same way

I have asked TA to move it back to the Cancun Forum and not all people are aware that this forum exist

Edited: 16 July 2013, 21:45