We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

katy, tx
5 posts
Save Topic
high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

i was looking at going to cancun for a quick 4 night getaway, and was blown away when i saw flights costs. non stop IAH - CUN +700

took at trip in may this yr and flights were 380

and i know its not all fuel.

any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

I just saw to a program today about the cost of flying, and yes, it is the fuel charges. Airlines are fighting to stay alive and are cutting services to the bone, flying flights that are full, charging for baggage, etc. in order to keep up with the rising costs of fuel. Gasoline in my hometown jumped ten cents overnight. I saw they were discussing the rising costs of gasoline in Congress yesterday on the evening news. Not much we can do about it.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 21:53
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

#1 airlines are not fighting to stay alive , the airlines are the most profitable they have been in years. Yes they are cutting services and adding a lot of upcharge fees, baggage, snacks, seats etc, following the leader of the industry Spirit.

The airfares are up because the airlines are no longer selling seats below their cost to operate, example $380 RT from IAH to CUN, those days of airfare below cost are gone at least for the foreseeable future

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

i have never seen it Busier in cancun. The airlines are still running way less flights than they were pre economic failure. Its supply vs demand More so than fuel The more the demand the more the cost. People are starting to spend some money again now that the economy has improved some. Do not expect any changes anytime soon. It is wayyy more Profitabe for the airplanes to Operate With all the holes filled vs half full.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

<<Airlines have become increasingly sophisticated about predicting demand for each flight, allowing them to match supply and demand more closely by putting the right-sized plane on each route. U.S. and European airlines in particular also have become more cautious about adding new planes because of the recession in Europe and uncertainty about the recovery in the USA.

Profits also will be helped by slightly lower oil prices. Jet fuel is one of the biggest expenses for airlines. The group said airlines have been adapting to tough economic conditions by cutting costs and charging for add-ons such as food and checked baggage.>> http://www.usatoday.com/travel/

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Springboro, Ohio
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

A chartered flight from the U.K. Cost the same or almost the same for them to fly to Cancun as it does me from Ohio to Cancun. So the fuel argument really doesn't work I do believe they pay more for fuel than we do. In fact this was the price per gallon when ours hit $4.00( See the CNN caption at the bottom) in the U.K. And these higher prices are reflected in the airlines jet fuel as well. The Distance From Cancun International Airport To London Heathrow Airport (CUN to LHR) is 4942.53 miles / 7954.22 km the Distance from Cincinnati, Ohio to Cancun, Mexico is 1239.5 Miles . A 3704 mile distance but the price per ticketed passenger is about the same. Just ask somebody from the U.K. what they paid Round Trip. I paid $1400.00 for my wives and my upcoming Oct. trip. The airlines are hosing people here on price period. How could fuel possibly be more in the U.K. fly 3704 more miles than I do and Pay nearly the same. It makes no sense.

London (CNN) -- Gas prices might have breached the $4 per gallon mark in the U.S., but there won't be much sympathy for the American plight in Europe. In fact, that U.S. price of £2.52 a gallon looks highly affordable compared to the UK's current average cost of £6.22 ($9.85).

Edited: 18 July 2013, 00:09
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun International Suites
Cancun International...
56 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

Ment to say "supply n demand just as much as fuel"

Also its the summer rush right now. In a few weeks there will be some breaks in price. Rememmber, These guys have the best marketers that money can buy. Yes, Cancunmole They not as Predictabe anymore.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

Jet fuel costs in the UK are the same as the U.S. - gas costs for cars are much higher because of aggressive taxing by successive governments to encourage less usage (smaller cars etc.). This site shows the world price of jet fuel: http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/?page_id=2092 So although fuel has increased in the last few months it is is still way below what it was in 2012.

If air prices were directly related to fuel prices I wish someone could explain to me how Houston to Acapulco costs more than New York to Acapulco via Houston (with the second leg being the same plane!).

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
209 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

Exactly why I'm not taking a caribbean vacation any time soon. The airfare is ridiculous. I guess like some have said, as long as people are willing to pay that much, its not coming down anytime soon. I'm just not willing to pay that much. IND to CUN is $600-$700 rt. Same for montego bay, not for me!!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

IAH to CUN is always high for one reason. Why? United has no competition on the route. When I was in the USA, my Mexican friends would fly to meet me it Atlanta and it was cheaper to fly to Atlanta than to Houston. But the reason was, many choices from Cancun to Atlanta, some non stop, some connecting. But the competition brings the price down.

But as said, the airlines are not fighting to stay alive now. With the ability to add all the fees, most are doing very well.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: high cost to fly....why? IAH-CUN

I am with Robert here. It all about competition. If you fly mid-week from JFK with Jetblue and I plugged in dates

Sep4-Sep11 the cost for round trip flight is exactly $382.74 with all taxes included,no charge for check-in 1st bag,snacks,satellite TV,etc... And yes these are non-stop flights.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 12:22