We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

I'm flying with AA from San Jose, CA to Cancun with a layover in DFW. I have a 55 minute layover and was wondering if I would be able to easily access a duty free store at DFW to pick up some cigars for the trip.

I can't decide whether it's better to bring some with me from California or pick them up at a duty free store at DFW or CUN.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Boston
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

Cigars? Why not just pick up some Cuban cigars in Cancun?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

Yea, wait till Cancun. Nothing here (dfw) any different than in Cali.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

DFW airport website has a nice interactive map so check the terminal you're flying into & see what stores are available. I would assume its terminal D which is full of stores but not sure about cigar selection. I would also wait until arriving in Mexico but that's just me.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Bruno...
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

When you say CUBAN CIGARS do you mean Mexican cigars? I believe it's eligal to bring Cuban cigars into USA or even buy them here in USA .

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

quote: pick up some Cuban cigars in Cancun

that's legal Jamito - Cancun is in Mexico I believe

Cancun airport is one of 2 places I would trust you can get authentic Cubans / with one store in Playa

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Bruno...
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

My bad, I should have specify, I also miss read that op wanted to get Cubans at the airport in Dallas.

And of course I know cancun is Mexico, half of my family is Mexican .

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Texas
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

Vancouversundog- which store in PDC would you recommend? I'm going to make it my point to get my husband some so he can compare it to the (what I think is) junk on the beach.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

Thanks for the tips. I'm flying AA, so it sounds like I'll be in terminal 3 and there's a duty free store upon arrival. How's the cigar selection there?

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

Officially, it's not legal for Americans to spend money on Cuban products whether inside the US or outside.

They're never going to catch you for buying Cuban rum, cigars, sugar, etc. in Mexico as long as you don't try to bring it into the US, though.

Duty-free is often a bit of a scam. Sure, there's no duty, but there's nothing to say they don't make up the price difference with pure profit. Toblerone is not cheaper there than at my local supermarket. Booze at the Aldeasa or Dufry shops is more expensive than at my local liquor store in the US or at Chedraui in Mexico. When a duty-free shop sells Dominican or Honduran cigars, they're more expensive than at discount mail-order cigar sellers.

For non-Americans with much higher alcohol or tobacco taxes at home, you might come out ahead, as might Americans in states with very high alcohol or tobacco taxes. For me, though, it's not worth the weight or suitcase space.

The last time I looked at the cigars at DFW the selection was very unimpressive. There are official Habanos retailers in Cancun (along with zillions of places selling fakes at high prices) as well as places to get decent Mexican or Dominican cigars.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chedraui
Chedraui
42 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Boston
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free at DFW on the way to Cancun

I don't think OP was trying to get Cuban cigar in the US or into the US. But the cigar in DFW are no different than anywhere else in the US so I recommended OP get some Cuban at legit places in Cancun. If you really want to bring it back into the US it's easy but that's not the intent of this forum.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico