We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

New England
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

On one hand Forbes rates them #3 in their America's Best airline feature

forbes.com/pictures/…

behind only Virgin America and Jetblue.

On the other hand several reviews on sites like Yelp and Airlinequality.com paint a picture of an airline with poor customer service, old planes and long delays.

Can someone help from personal experience.

Obviously we would love to fly non stop, but current indications suggest the fares for that option are much too high for our budget.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

I always fly AirTran, but mostly because we have few options flying out of Pittsburgh and its always by far the cheapest. I'm just hoping that when the Southwest/Aitran takeover is done that they end up a little more Southwest and a little less AirTran with free bags, open seating and lots of snacks.

I've never really had any issues with AirTran, nor do I really have any raves, but for the price I have been happy.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

We have flown Airtran many times but not to Cancun. We mostly flew from DC (where we were living) to Houston. They were always on time, never had any problems with them. Even had free internet on one flight, we used to get great deals with them before Southwest bought them. Now they have Southwest prices. The only downside is you have to stop in Atlanta (their base) no matter where you fly to. If there was a great rate to Cancun, I personally would use them.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Gypsum, Colorado
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

Flying Air Tran non stop Denver-Cancun this Saturday. Will let you know if it's not too late for you...and I can find the thread.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

We flew AirTran this past April from O'Hare. No delays and and a great flight!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

We've flown to Cancun twice out of Milwaukee on a non stop that was chartered through Funjet. Never a problem. I've been using them for years when I used to live in Georgia and fly back up to Milwaukee. It's neither a great nor terrible airline. Gets you where you need to go.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

We've flown AT out of Milwaukee - non-stop to Cancun for years, both as a charter through Apple/FunJet and on regularly scheduled flights. We always upgrade to Business Class, and feel the value is there. Only once did we have any issues. When flying on a scheduled flight booked through FunJet two years ago at Christmas time, the AT rep had given our seats to AT customers who had upgraded at check-in with vouchers. Naturally, I was not happy, having paid for Business Class. He refused to do anything about it and told me it was FunJet's problem. I found the FJ airport manager and got us back in BC, but talked to other passengers who were in the same situation, and they got bumped back to coach. Other than that one flight, all other times on AT have been enjoyable, on time, comfortable and we have experienced very good in-flight service. I will be sad when AT is absorbed into the Southwest business model.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Illinois
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

I just flew non-stop on AT from Chicago/Midway to Cancun in early June. No delays. Courteous flight attendants. My only issue was they lost one of my bags and it took 4 days to find it. I was told it went to Jamaica only to find out it never left Chicago. It ended up being a Southwest employee that actually got off their butt to look for the bag. Every AT employee I spoke with only read the notes. The SW employee made it right by me. I was able to extend my trip by a few days so she changed my return flight, no charge. No luggage fee and I was upgraded to Business Class. I prefer SW over AT. I just hope that it is SW that will handle the CUN flights from Chicago.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
New England
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

Thank you all for your feedback. Our flights unfortunately would involve connections, likely Atlanta on the way down and Baltimore or Chicago midway on the return, but they are good connection with at least two hours between flights.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
527 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

I did the layover in Atlanta with less than an hour with no issues. I had read that all of the AirTran flights arrived and left from the same terminal, so I wasn't worried about only having an hour. However, the gates were backed up and they switched the takeoff to a different terminal and we still had no trouble getting from one terminal to the other with time to spare.

We're doing the layover in Chicago (midway) this weekend, so I will report back on how that goes. I know its a smaller airport and we only have about 90 minutes. Its also our first time where part of our trip are Southwest (PIT to Midway) and part AirTran (Midway to Cancun) which worries me a bit even though we aren't checking luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Va
Level Contributor
11,747 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone fly airtran to Cancun?

AirTran is just as bad as the rest. Probably worse on the cabin crew. It seems to be acceptable to be rude to passengers. I assume it is from dealing with people, but they are no where near what they will have to be once they become southwest.