We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain?

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rain?

I know that Cancun weather in unpredictable, and last year we were very lucky as we had amazing sunshine with literally the odd shower at night, but we are off again on 15th and I have been checking all different weather sites, and all say different...but all are bad! Overcast, rain....

Can anyone recommend a realistic site or better still anyone there that can tell me what the forecast is! I am worried as this year we are travelling with friends, and it's a long way to come from the UK to spend 2 weeks in rain and go home without a tan!!!!! Thanks.

Ohio
Level Contributor
570 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain?

Honestly, even a "realistic site" or "anyone there" will be of no help as your departure is 2 weeks away and the forecast can change hourly which would cause undo worry.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,561 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain?

very lucky or was this the norm

try Myforecast

myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m…

Look at the terminology / amount of rain UV factor. Scattered showers means there there may be one on the entire coast

Are the UK weather sites accurate 2+ weeks out??

Anything a week + out is a wild guess based on past weather or perhaps a tropical storm - have you checked the Hurricane sites????

Edited: 01 August 2013, 21:04
new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain?

any forecast for Mexico is a shot in the dark. been there when the forecast called for rain on a sunny day and sun when it rained, best thing to do is get up in the morning and look out the window.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain?

I have to agree with Bud's response on #1, estimating weather two-four weeks out is purely a guessing game at this point. It's not likely that any weather service could accurately predict any foul weather conditions this early in the month.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain?

It's the tropics. It will be over 30 C and 80% humidity with sea breezes. Afternoon thunderstorms are the norm. Fortunately, the forecast looks pretty clear regarding tropical storms and hurricanes.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain?

Twenty years ago it would have been easy. But weather seems to have gotten more variable in that region. The old standby was that it would rain from 4-6pm. The Mayans had a word for it. Translates into English as Happy Hour. You'd go into a bar/restaurant. Have a couple of beers and a snack. Typical summer rainy season. Sometimes it would rain all day. Some days no rain at all. Good news is that you are going on the cusp of the rainy/dry season. BTW.. in some areas in the region the rainy season is known as the green season. Plants have the dust washed off, flowers in bloom. Yeh, I've sat in Merida and watched the streets rise 12 inches in an hour. Enjoy it if it rains. It's warm. Bring a rain poncho. You can't sit on the beach in the rain so use that time to drink/eat or shop. Once you get there use the weather service to plan a couple days ahead at a time. That way you won't be disappointed.

7. Re: Rain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:20