We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun weather in January??

Mission, Texas
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Topic
Cancun weather in January??

My wife and I just got an amazing deal for Cancun but in Late Jan 2014. How is the weather? Will we still enjoy all the water activities or did we make a mistake? Any response will help.

Thanks,

David H.

Prescott Ontario
Level Contributor
953 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun weather in January??

It's the coolest time of the year per say but "comfortable". It can get to the mid-80's. Nights are rather chilly.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun weather in January??

This should help....

http://cancun-guide.info/weather/january/

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,692 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun weather in January??

Common question - use the search feature for 395 page of

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?q=january+weather&scope=2&sub-search=Search&ff=14383&geo=1575485&returnTo=__2F__ShowForum__2D__g1575485__2D__i14383__2D__Quintana__5F__Roo__5F__Yucatan__5F__Peninsula__2E__html

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun weather in January??

it can get to mid 80's but can also be high in the 60's and low in the 50's, if you want guaranteed great beach weather avoid January

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun weather in January??

We have considered early January.

What I did was go to wunderground, and pull up the history for that week for the last 5 years or so, and list it out on a sheet of paper. You can pull this up, each day at a time. Just have a second window open for typing in a word processor. Having the info listed out in black and white... That will give you a pretty good idea of what It could do!

The thing is, as others have mentioned... it is just so variable that time of year.

Absolute record highs last year, for that first week... really hot...

But, also can have temps dip into the 70's, and chilly evenings, if a 'Norte' comes thru.

I noticed that some very windy conditions can also occur in early Jan.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 13:46
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun weather in January??

go here and not weather underground and you can pull up historical entire month

2012 here

weatherspark.com/history/32607/2012/Cancun-Q…

2011 here

weatherspark.com/history/32607/2011/Cancun-Q…

2010 here

weatherspark.com/history/32607/2010/Cancun-Q…

weatherspark.com/history/32607/2011/Cancun-Q…

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun weather in January??

Thanks Steve,

But, what I am seeing on that web-site is the entire year on one small grid.

There is some great general information there.

But, nothing like seeing the day-to-day conditions than can occur.. I do think I find that more helpful.

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun weather in January??

Wife and I have been to Cancun in early January twice, and early February once.

Fabulous weather all the timeswe were there. highs in the 80s ecru day when we were there, which now totals 19 days. Only once did it rain for more than a few minutes, and that was January 2012 when it rained for 2 to 4 hours.

15 minutes of rain last February. Frankly, I prefer January, as it took most of the vacation to get used to the 85 or so degrees it got to last Feb.

January average temps are about 80 and if I want 80 to 90 and humid in the summer, I'll stay home. 80 and sunny in January is great for people from Minneapolis.

Do not worry about the weather, I don't. Wife and I will likely be back in Cancun this coming January.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun weather in January??

Trucker13

I guess that is the perspective from someone who lives in the frigid north. Personally I avoid Cancun in January, not hot enough for me. i will take those 85-90 degree hot days of summer anytime, I much prefer the summer. The Caribbean is warmer, pools are warmer, Caribbean is calmer, less windy and never cold

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun weather in January??

Hey Steve,

I partially agree. Always amazes me that it seems like people from the south think Minnesota has snow on the ground 11 months a year.

That aside I'm not sure how anyone can say 80 degrees isn't hot. I need the air conditioning on once it hits 80.

I'm of the mind that thinks one needn't worry about the weather in Cancun in late January. In fact I'm still hoping I'll be there again in January 2014, and may send the op a message to find out where he'll be, and maybe have a drink with my fellow tripadvisor, if or trips overlap.