We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Married or not?

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Married or not?

So when we went to Cancun in Feb 2012, it was 4 months after our wedding and my passport is in my maiden name. We got through customs and collected our luggage and got to the bit where they ask you to press a button. The lady asked were we married and I said no. I pressed the button, so did he, both green and off we went. I seem to think we filled in 1 form on the plane.

Now my question is, this time, with my passport still in my maiden name, should i say yes we are married or say we are not?

I have had many stories of people being married with a maiden name passport - some pressing the button once for a couple, some pressing singularly - if it goes red both getting searched or just the one person.

I dont know what advice to follow.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Married or not?

The only issue I can see is if you are carrying documents in your married name. Not a problem in Mexico but maybe on return. If you are sure you are going to keep him it would be easier to change the passport.

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Married or not?

I wont be carrying anything in my married name as the travel/hotel etc is all booked in my maiden name. So should we say we are married?

Leeds
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Married or not?

hope this link helps?

https:/…marriage-and-civil-partnership

it looks as you have booked in your maiden name, the passport should match. I would probably take a copy of your marriage certificate with you on the safe side if you have to proof anything.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,447 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Married or not?

I know dozens of married women who kept their maiden name. The big issue is that your passport and your airline documentation match. If they don't you might not be allowed on the plane. With respect to your hotel, if that reservation and your passport don't match, well, then you're not you and that's not your room.

If asked by an official if you're married tell the truth (why lie?) and, if necessary, go on to explain that you haven't taken your husband's name (given that your passport, airline ticket and hotel reservation are all in your maiden name, that's not a tough case to make). I suppose having your marriage certificate handy might be useful if you REALLY have to prove the point but I can't see it coming to that.

If you end up doing two presses of the button, theoretically, only the one getting the red gets their bags searched but honestly, whether it's one or both of you, getting a red is SOOOOOO not a big deal. You will simply be directed to a side table where your luggage will be subjected to a cursory search. Provided you're not trying to smuggle anything illegal into the country, you have absolutely nothing to worry about and will be on your way in minutes.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 14:29
Huddersfield
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Married or not?

Thanks for your replies.

I know its more than likely unneccessary worrying, but I d like to over think stuff! lol. All our travel arrangements/hotel etc is in my maiden name but Ill take a copy of our marriage certificate just incase its needed. like my husband said, thousands of people go to mexico on their honeymoon so Im sure itll be fine.

Scotland
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Married or not?

We always have one of us press the button for us as a couple.

We aren't married though.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Married or not?

As far as I understand the question it is only about how you handle customs on arrival where it is necessary to fill in one form per "family" and press the button once for each form. Since you are married then you are a family, need only fill in one form and only one of you needs to press the button. This is simply because it is assumed that anything found in your bags is your joint responsibility and you will be handled together. So no need to lie.

Incidentally, Mexican women do not take their husband's name on marriage (in fact it is not possible or legal to do so) - their name at birth is for life!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,603 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Married or not?

The best course of action is to answer questions from immigration and customs personnel honestly. If they ask if you are married and you are, then answer yes. Simple.

if you want to take your marriage license with you, then go ahead, but I can't see why you would need it. In the past, before documentation requirements were tightened up, newly-married women would often make their reservations in their married names, not have their identity documents updated yet, and take a marriage license along as a "bridge" document. Likewise, when Americans didn't need passports to travel to and from Mexico, if your current name wasn't the same as that on your birth certificate, people (mostly women) would take their marriage license (or other documentation) with them to show the link between names. These days that won't fly - passports are required and names must match that on tickets and reservations.

9. Re: Married or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:18