We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical storm Erin

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Tropical storm Erin

I'm hearing conflicting reports about this storm that was upgraded to a tropical storm and then downgraded to a disturbance. Has it been upgraded again? What's the deal with it hitting Cancun? I've heard it's very rainy in cancun at the moment, I leave from the UK to cancun in 4 days... Usually after a storm has passed does the weather clear up? I'm staying for 2 weeks and have been saving up for nearly a year to afford this trip. I knew September could be rainy but just our luck that Storm Erin arrives! Typically what should I expect?

London
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical storm Erin

I don't think Erin will cause you a problem as accoroding to the liink attached it destined to drift well north of Mexico

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical storm Erin

When did Mexico pick up and move to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean ?

virginia
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical storm Erin

weather.com/video/watching-erin-in-the-atlan…

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical storm Erin

If you read some of the reports they mention that the storm was headed in mexicos direction smart Alec kevin

Edited: 17 August 2013, 11:08
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical storm Erin

OP, relax and stop panicking and go read this thread and come back in like 10 days and ask again. chances of this thinking hitting Cancun are like 1 in 1000

tripadvisor.com/…51578651

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical storm Erin

For our OP:

As of this post, TS Erin is active but in an extremely remote area of the Atlantic Ocean, thousands of miles from Mexico and as of this time is not projected to move into the Caribbean and/or Mexico. The current NHC based models reporting suggest a predominantly North Atlantic ocean storm track should TS Erin continue it's current weather projections.

As this is Hurricane Season, all travelers should watch for developing weather patterns but as of now, TS Erin is not expected to be a concern for the Cancun area.

wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201305_…

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical storm Erin

1inamill.

Being from the U.S. east coast ( South Carolina ) we tend to monitor the path of these storms very closely. I was being a smart Alec and I do apologies. If you have a smartphone or iPad there is a great app for following tropical storms called NOAA NOW. It's easy to navigate. And I believe it's free.

I hope you good weather and a great trip.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 14:10
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical storm Erin

Tropical storm Erin should be no problem. The rain thats over the Yucatan right now isn't related to Erin, but rather a different tropical disturbance which the National Hurricane Center only gives a 50 % chance of forming into a tropical storm (Fernand if it were to form). I just spoke with a friend who lives on Isla Mujeres and they said the storm appears to be breaking up so I'm thinking you'll be safe with this storm as well. Have a great trip!

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical storm Erin

The tropical wave (92L) that was causing some stormy weather in the Cancun area is now centered over the Gulf of Mexico and moving West- Northwest away from the Yucatan Peninsula towards the central Gulf. The storm isn't expected to have any issue with the Cancun area other than possibly some rain and rough seas over the next 24 hours as it continues to move away from Cancun and the Yucatan. As of 8 AM today, the Cancun Airport was reporting partly cloudy skies, 82 F and a light breeze.

10. Re: Tropical storm Erin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:20