We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to chitzen itza

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
trip to chitzen itza

Hi

Im going to cancun fiesta Americana with my 2 friends next Tuesday. I want to visit the chitzen itza but want to do it on our own via cab or bus. Is this a good idea? Is it even possible? Any advice would be appreciated :)

Also feel free to recommend any other activities to not miss out on! Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to chitzen itza

Yes get a taxi for $200 and go EARLY to avoid the suffocating crowd and suffocating heat. Stop by a cenote for some swimming.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to chitzen itza

Look into a private Chichen Itza tour with Canada Transfers, USA Transfers or cancun-discounts. I have only ever read positive things about these companies. They seem to be the cheapest for a reliable tour.

You can book Ik Kil cenote + buffet lunch & Ek Balam ruins for a little extra, as well. With cancun-discounts, you get the car and driver for 11 hours, so you can pretty much do whatever you want with your time.

We're booking a private Chichen Itza tour with them, ourselves. Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza Tour
Chichen Itza Tour
460 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Canada Transfers
Canada Transfers
4,604 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
USA Transfers
USA Transfers
7,798 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to chitzen itza

Ik Kil cenote is a few kilometers east of C. Itza.

Valladolid is a nice town with a beautiful church close to the square.

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to chitzen itza

Of course it's possible. Cheap and comfortable is to take a first class bus. If you want a guide then at the ruins there are guided groups you can join or hire a private guide there. These people know far more than a general guide from Cancun. There are also good guide books available.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Buenos Aires
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to chitzen itza

I would definitely skip the mass tour operators and go independent. Don't go on a Sunday as it is mobbed. There is some good information about the ruins here www.artdecosuites.com/2011/09/chichen/. Take the ADO bus and do it on your own timetable and save money too.

dallas
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to chitzen itza

I would definitely skip the independent and go mass tour operator. Ride the first class, Air conditioned bus, complete with on=board guide. Get refreshments and information along the way, watch the scenery, no worry about ambitious police or car trouble, and at end of tour sleep comfortably the two and a half hours back home.

7. Re: trip to chitzen itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 06:20