We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
611 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

Hey coming over for two weeks from the UK in early December 2013 - This will be our 5th time however we have yet to make it out to CI - We are wondering is there much to see on the journey to/from Cancun to CI or is it just boring motorway with not much to see until we get there?

Ta

S

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

The toll road itself is extremely boring. It is possible to stop in Vallodolid on the way back if you go on the "libre" road which is a small colonial town which some people like (although nothing special in my opinion).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

I am one of the people who do like Valladolid. I lived there for some time. And while not a large city, it is one of the states largest with a population of about 75,000.

Having said that, I find little scenic when driving in the Yucatan. Not one of Mexico's really scenic states.I suppose everyone should see Chichen once but the nearby Ek Balam ruins are more interesting to me. If you go to Chichen, try to arrive early. Not only to arrive before the masses on the tour buses but to be there before the many pesky vendors have set up.

Taunton...
Level Contributor
856 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

I second Ek Balam, it was great and you can actually climb the ruins, which makes it a much more hands on experience...also check out Ik Kil Cenote--Wow!

Also yes, get there early... we were there when it opend and were able to take priceless pictures with noone in the background and literally had the place to ourselves---the vendors werent even set up yet.... when we left there was over 50 tour buses there...

Glasgow, Scotland...
Level Contributor
611 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

Many thanks chaps

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

If you choose to take 45min.to 1hr. longer (and free) road, via Playa Del Carmen and Tulum, there is plenty to see. Playa Del Carmen 5th Ave., Akumal, Tulum pueblo and ruins, Coba ruins. Plenty of beaches, cenotes, small towns in between. Depends on your timing. An amazing trip if you can make 2 days/1 night out of it. Valladolid is a great, enchanting place to stay for the night.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 18:30
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

What we did was an early start, go to Akumal for 2 hrs, snorkel with giant turtles. Then to Tulum waterfront ruins, great scenery for photos. Late lunch in Tulum Pueblo. Then on to Valladolid via Coba (did not stop by), about 1.5 hr drive, got there early evening. There are a couple of amazing colonial hotels on the main square, and good authentic restaurants. Don't remember the hotel name, it had a pool and was $45 for the night. Next morning, CI (about 30 minutes), 2 hr at cenote, then Ek Balam. By around 5 p.m., all done and direct to Cancun.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 18:47
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

...correction - not 30 min. spent at Chichen Itza. It is drive time from Valladolid. Allow 3-4 hours for CI.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

Well, there are trees and some mobile phone towers...

On the toll road itself, there is really nothing to see. There are quite literally alarming signs about dangerous curves that around here would still be considered straight road - it's a ribbon of highway through low jungle relieved only by two toll plazas on the way.

If you want to see anything else, you'll need to take the free road (and allow considerably more time for the drive).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

¨and some mobile phone towers.¨

And even with those, the service can be spotty.

10. Re: Cancun - Chichen Itza Journey - Much to see on way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:20