We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

Hi ,

i'm staying in OMNI Cancun on Nov, just wondering is everyone booking the activities ahead their trip, or they just book it at the hotel ?

the activities that im looking at :

Dolphinaris Cancun

Rio Secreto

Chichen - Itza Tour

thank you very much

Moultrie, Georgia
Level Contributor
128 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

We're staying at Krystal Cancun and Riu Palace Peninsula the first week of November and I don't think we'll be doing any advanced bookings. I have been told that you can get a better price with a lot of vendors of you go to them in person when you want to do the activity. Too much too do in 6 days do we narrowed it down to the lagoon tour at blue ray marina, a day trip to Tulum and Akumal, a helicopter tour, shopping, a day trip to Isla Mujeres and of course a jet ski rental to satisfy my need for speed and I'll probably wanna parasail just to get the footage with my Hero 3 Silver. We were considering Xcaret, Chichen Itza and other stuff but we quickly realized that 6 days just wasn't enough. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

I never book ahead. Weather, personal factors, last minute changes, etc. There ARE few things to consider - if you're making a long distance trip to a place like Chichen Itza, The Monkey Place which only takes reservations due to crowd limitations, a few others. Most attractions are just "open". That way you're not tied down, something you really don't want to be on vacation unless it's in a hammock with drink in hand so you don't fall out :)

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

No, wait until you get there.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

Stay away from Dolphinaris unless you have a lot of money.

You will pay more for this tour when you get there than the tickets cost you.

Please read my review. It will explain where the extra costs are.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150807-d188…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

I book after I arrive. As cormac said, loads of things factor into the equation, especially weather. Our next trip, we're taking friends (who live in a different state from us) so we can't sit down with them ahead of time and plan out activities.

I do like to make a plan in the beginning of a trip, though. This way, I can plan around those activities. If I plan an early morning excursion, I'm going to go to bed early the night before. So no karaoke and tequila shots that night! Haha On my last trip, everyone in my family wanted to do Rio Secreto on Sunday. The Ricky Martin concert was the night before, so I specifically missed Rio Secreto. I knew it would be a late night and I didn't want to do an all-day thing after having had very little sleep.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

Book at the hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

Damn I must be the only sucker who booked ahead. Never been to Cancun so I figured it was cheaper to compare prices online than book at a hotel. Oh well...

Troy, Missouri
Level Contributor
450 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

Like the others, I wait till I get down there. My girlfriends and I usually sit down and decide what things we want to do so we have an idea and then wait till we get there to see the weather, and then find out from the entertainment team if the resort has particular nights out that we want to go with them. Then factor in our excursions we want, and the weather. Nothing like going out partying till 4 am, and then having to get up for an excursion at 6 am, makes for a very long day.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
751 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

I found it a lot cheaper to use the vendors out side the hotel and just as good, plus you can decide on what day and where when you get there,

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is everyone booking the activities ahead?

We book after we get down there that way we can keep an eye on the weather and pick a good day to go. Also this last trip we saved $10 per person by paying in cash so remember to ask is that is an option.