We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Documents for wedding in Mexico

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Documents for wedding in Mexico

Hi I am getting married at the Riu Palace next April. I am travelling from the UK and have booked the wedding direct with Riu but an abit confused about the legal requirements. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what documents I need to take. The Thomas Cook wedding brochure says the birth certificates need to have our parents name on them but I have checked mine and my fiance's and neither have their names on. Does anyone know if this is a problem?

Also the brochure says I need to have spanish translations done. How do I go about this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

I got married in Cancun but we are Americans so things may be different. We needed birth certificates with apostiles, passports, 4 witnesses with passports and blood tests in Mexico. All of us had to be in Mexico 3 days before the wedding.

Call the British consulate in Cancun to see what they say is required. I called the US consulate in Cancun and their info was spot on and more accurate that the wedding coordinator's. Chances are, they have had complaints from Brits that ran in to trouble trying to get married. The laws in Mexico are different from state to state so the Embassy in Mexico City's info may not be accurate for Quintana Roo (the state that Cancun is in).

Frankly, The RIU should handle everything and if they are not, they are failing to do their job.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

u need to send ur birth certificates to the legalisation office it costs approx 15 quid each

take copies of ur passports but i got married at the riu cancun and they could do the copies for u as well - of urs and ur witnesses

jo

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

Thanks to you both for your help.

JoLiverpool - did you have to get your birth certificates translated into spanish and if so how did you go about this?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

No we didnt get them translated

u just need to get a full birth certicifate - its about 7.50 from the registry office where u were born - a full one has ur parents names and stuff on them - u just go to the registry office and they do it while u wait its no hassle

If i was you i wouldnt book ur wedding with thomas cook do it direct with the hotel u get better deal

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

Hi JoLiverpool,

Thanks so much for your help. We did originally book the wedding through Thomas Cook but then realised we could book directly with Riu and that it was cheaper and a much better package so I complained and got a full refund.

I have now booked directly with Riu but found that they are slow at replying to my questions so thanks for your help. You have put my mind at rest.

Michelle

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

No probs Mish

do u have this email for them???

Bodas Cancun [weddings.cancun@riu.com]

They are really good when u get there

glad u booked with them - one tip as well when u book with them u get a free spa treatment its exfoliation - its well lovely and only 20 quid for both of u - worth trying to book it before u leave as well as a treat

we giong back next may for our anniversary

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

Hi Jo,

I have finally been to the registry office as suggested and got a copy of my birth certificate. It is a photocopy that has been certified. Is this what you had because they don't issue original copies. Do I now just need to send it to be legalised?

Thanks

Michelle

Virginia
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

I know this is an old post but it is relevant to my question.

JoLiverpool

You said that you did not have to get your birth certificate translated. I thought this was the law and it had to be done. I also heard that you do not get it back. Can anyone shed some light on this. I do not like the idea that someone in Mexico keeps my birth certificate. Please let me know if anyone knows about this process. If I do not need to get it done then I do not want to. Plus we can not have it done in the US and it costs about $200. The 200 is just the cost of getting married but if we do not need to spend it I am sure we can find better places to spend it in Cancun.

Virginia
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

Bump

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Documents for wedding in Mexico

Sorry Ray just seen ur post

we didnt need them translated we just needed them apostilled - we sent them off to the legalisation office and they were returned with the apostille on it

We handed our birth certificates in to the wedding co-ordinator but didnt get these returned to us - its easy to get extra copies here in england so it wasnt a problem for us

Jo