We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal Cancun

Glasgow
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
The Royal Cancun

Hi all,

I have just returned from my third year at The Royal Cancun and the renovations are well under way. On our last day there was scaffolding in the lobby and they are doing renovations around the pool.

I spoke with a couple of friends that work in the hotel, Astrid and Luis but they have not been told of any changes other than it will become a Hyatt. All the staff were very eager to find out what I knew but unfortunately it's as little as they do. In my opinion it can only be for the better as parts of the hotel are beginning to look tired. If they change all the staff however I will not return as they make the hotel what it is!

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Kev

M H
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Royal Cancun

Hi Kev,

Was the duration of these renovations mentioned?

We arrive for honeymoon on 11th October and the last thing we want is renovation work around the pool area!

Could you tell if it was to be laregely cosmetic or are we talking full-on construction, loud power tools / dust etc..?

Thanks.

MH

Glasgow
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Royal Cancun

Hi,

If I'm honest no one seems to know anything! They was scaffolding in the lobby with half of the lobby shut off, and judging by the smell it was painting they are doing! Around the pool, they were chiselling at tiles but as this was just prior to us leaving I'm not 100% of the extent of what they are planning to do.

If I'm honest it's all a bit of a shambles as no one seems to be giving any information to guests or staff!!

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help,

Kev

Essex, England
Level Contributor
142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Royal Cancun

I hope this is finished before we arrive on 6th October. I am a bit annoyed as I emailed the hotel to find out what was happening and I was told nothing would be going on during my stay. I have emailed them again this morning to find out what is going on. I have not paid nearly £3K to be in a building site and i am more annoyed that Thomas Cook have not even notified us of this work or change of hotel name, I have found out about everything on Tripadvisor. As soon as I get a response from the Royal, I will post but in the meantime if there is anyone else there, can you please let us know what is happening.

Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Royal Cancun

I have delayed my review but I will at least tell you this. We upgraded in April from the GC to The Royal and were VERY disappointed. The staff at the GC is WAY better than the Royal.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Royal Cancun

Really?! I could not ask for anymore from the staff! Every year we return they remember our names and treat us like royalty. I just hope the change over to the Hyatt doesn't affect that!

leeds
Level Contributor
28 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Royal Cancun

We are at The Royal now and it's not Intrusive renovation but they are tarting it up. The staff definitely make this hotel what it is. Have been to Mexico many times but never met such fantastic, genuine lovely people look after us.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Royal Cancun

Anyone else there now care to comment on the work being done? We arrive in a week and have also been told by two different members of the staff that there will be no work being done during our stay. I hope we were not mislead.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Royal Cancun

I have had an email from the Royal stating that there will be no work being caried out whilst we are there form 6th to 16th October and they said it was only painting going on in the lobby. I hope they are right. 6 sleeps to go, can't wait.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: The Royal Cancun

Will let you know maz as I'm arriving on the 2nd till the 23rd oct.

10. Re: The Royal Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:17