We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting through customs morning vs. evening

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roseville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting through customs morning vs. evening

We are looking at two different flight options, one getting into Cancun around 10:00 am, the other not until 9:15 in the evening. If we get in late we will stay a night at a hotel near the airport and still stay the same number of days at our resort of choice. We are hoping to not spend hours in customs, I know we can never be sure, but does anyone have any experience of being able to compare the wait getting in earlier in the morning versus later in the evening. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

This is a no brainer. Get there at 10:00am you can plan on about 45 minutes to an hour from the time you get off the plane until you get to your transportation vehicle. We have actually made it through in about 35 minutes. If you get there at 9:15 pm it isn't going to be much quicker. Why would you want to waste an entire day when it's based on spending maybe a 1/2 hour longer getting through the airport. I think getting there at 10am won't be a problem. Once you approach the noon crowd, which I think is a longer wait due to the agents taking lunch breaks, but thats just my guess. Getting there at 10am, you will be at your resort before noon and have an entire day on the beach. Staying at a hotel near the airport???? the Cancun hotel zone is about 20 minutes away. We stay in Playa every year and that's a 45 minute ride. One year we got a better air fare but had to leave / arrive on a Sunday. We had the condo for a week so we actually gave up Saturday, and by the time we got to the resort on Sunday that was pretty much another wasted day. We said then..........never again. We always plan to arrive at the airport before 11:00am. Don't blow off a day of your vacation, get there early and enjoy...you will be glad you did.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 00:36
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

I would say it's a no brainer also. If you are leaving from California and getting there at 10:00am, you must be leaving in the middle of the night. I like your plan of leaving the day before and spending the extra night by the airport. You can then get a full nights sleep and start the day out early at the resort. The resort should give you a wrist band when you get there early so you can eat and drink until your room is ready at 3:00 pm. Last trip we got in late, around 7:00 pm and the airport was empty so you should have zero issues at 9:00pm.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

>>>>>I like your plan of leaving the day before and spending the extra night by the airport.<<<<<

Craig......I think they are planning on getting there either earlier in the morning or in the evening the same day. Not a day earlier. I could be wrong. For the most part the time to get through the airport / customs, etc really isn't that bad. I think the worse we experienced in our 8 straight years is maybe an hour and 15 minutes.

ORIGINAL POST............We are looking at two different flight options, one getting into Cancun around 10:00 am, the other not until 9:15 in the evening. If we get in late we will stay a night at a hotel near the airport and still stay the same number of days at our resort of choice. We are hoping to not spend hours in customs,

Va
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

I would use customs as a determining factor for flight selection. You could fly through or be behind 4 arriving flights at any time. They obviously staff based on the schedule, but flights are rarely on time.

For me arriving late is a waste because you are losing a whole day. A 10am arrival would likely put you at your resort around noon.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,540 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

I prefer arriving as early as I can so I can enjoy my day there (Customs has no bearing on it)

But then I can sleep on the plane on red eyes and then under a palapa

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

Early flight. Easy Customs.

Tulsa
Level Contributor
105 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

Go early, and go to your resort. You will be glad you did!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,853 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

Sit near the front of the plane and fill out your paperwork completely. If you have a private transfer service that saves time as well.

Early flight.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

Thanks for all the input., very much appreciated. Sounds like the good choice is to get their early, which is what the Mrs. wants to do as well.

Ohio
Level Contributor
530 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting through customs morning vs. evening

"I prefer arriving as early as I can so I can enjoy my day there (Customs has no bearing on it)"

That's my thought on it as well....the earlier the better irrelevant of the wait. You never know how many other flights are due to arrive.