We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

Just read about the tragic drowning at the Oasis Cauncun (latest TA review). Sadly I have seen similar reports of deaths of young people in party resorts in Europe (Magaluf, etc) recently. My sincere condolences to all those involved.

I have been reading reviews of these places out of curiosity as I have teenagers who will soon be old enough to go to these places, a thought that fills me with horror!

Young people in large groups get high spirited and up to silly antics even when they HAVENT't been drinking. Add alcohol into the equation, even just a small amount if they're not used to drinking, and things could quite easily get dangerous, especially in a foreign country, far away from home and parental control. I have seen reports of drink spiking, rapes, terrible accidents, as well as what should have been preventable causes of death.

Maybe the minimum age of the person booking the room should be raised? I don't know. I'm not saying young people shouldn't drink. I allow my teens to have a few drinks on holiday but in a supervised way, but who knows what they would be like let loose in an AI with peer pressure ?? I can only hope that they would be sensible but I would fret none the less! Anybody else in a similar situation?

Edited: 29 September 2013, 04:30
1. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 11:51
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

Age Most certainly does define maturity. IMO and a recent research study says just that. I agree with OP, minimum age should be 25 , but Oasis would never agree because they would be out of business

foxnews.com/health/…

3. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 11:51
Va
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

Raising the age will on delay the inevitable. You can only do so much to protect people from themselves. Maybe you should start with the source that is the parents and not turn it into Oasis's problem?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

I hadn't seen that article when I wrote the post but it's food for thought. In Europe it seems that groups of 16 and 17 years olds can go away to party resorts like Kavos, Magaluf , Ayia Napa and the like with sometimes disastrous consequences unsurprisingly.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

anyone who says raising the age to 254 from 18 for drinking legally would only delay inevitable is not using common sense. Common sense tells me that for sure it would reduce deaths amongst 18-25 year old without any doubt in my mind

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

There is a definite co-relatioon between lack of responsibility and age. Sure there are immature adults and mature teens, but they are a fraction. Often, a seemingly mature and polite teen is probably different when among peers, hormones and pressure are very powerful and overwhelming...

Insurance companies huge premiums for young people attest to that - policies are based on statistics and research, not greed as some may assume.

Any doctor will confirm that alcohol tolerance is lower than in adults. Add to that lack of judgement and experience, and chances of things going sideways are increased hundredfold.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 13:47
Truth or...
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

mosaic, I don't disagree entirely. So what would be a good number to raise the minimum to? 25? 30? 35?

I maintain that asking to raise the minimum age for booking a room in a resort in Cancun because of a recent drowning at Oasis is a knee-jerk reaction.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

For any skeptics out there: according to CDC, the leading cause of death among teenagers are Accidents (unintentional injuries), distantly followed by homicide, suicide, cancer, and heart disease. Accidents account for nearly one-half of all teenage deaths.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what overwhelmingly causes Unintentional Injuries.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Raise minimum age at party resorts?? (Over protective Mum!)

Raising the age limit between 25 & 55 would also save lives. Get a life.