We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire or hire a driver

Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
237 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire or hire a driver

There have been so many negative reports on this & other forums about car hire in Cancun. It isn't the mad driving that deters me...it is the indiscriminate pulling over of rental drivers by the local police for 'the gringo tax'...$100 given & we walk away...I can't put my wife & young kids through that kind of scam..sounds like an episode of 24. Can anyone recommend a chauffeur service to do a couple of tours..namely Chicken Itza & Xcaret..I am sure CandyLady mentioned cancunvalet.com in a previous post...any updates on that !!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
749 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire or hire a driver

Oh it is so easy to just hire a taxi driver for a day trip. Every one of our taxi drivers have been fantastic, friendly, helpful, informative, speak enough English, and fun. We use them for local trips here and there and to hire for the day or half day or any amount of time! We are looking forward to hiring a taxi again for a whole day on our next trip. We go back and get the same one each time, but they are all so nice, we know many of them. Just ask any taxi driver, they will be happy to be hired for the day. First tell the driver where you would like to go, a general outline of your plans for the day. Then ask him the price. Don't be afraid to bargain it down, it is expected. It is so great to hire a taxi for the day. You can ask him to stop here and there as you decide during the day, oh it's great. Most of the taxis are kinda small but adequate and some are a little bigger, but they were all comfortable and we never had a problem. Remember don't be shy to bargain down the price, in a kindly manner of course. We see many people leaving their hotel talking to a taxi driver bargaining and tell the driver where they want to go and stop.

Or you can take a regular organized tour bus to Xcaret and Chitzen Ita and other places, that is nice too and less expensive.

Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
237 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire or hire a driver

Traveller7 Thanks for your reply..any idea what sort of ball park figure we are looking at to travel from the Hotel 7 zone to Chicken Itza & return...maybe taking in a couple of photo spots on the way...we're not great at coach excursions, this will be the first vacation without hiring wheels...feels kind of restricting