We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sombrero at the airport?

Manchester...
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sombrero at the airport?

Quick question.. I fly home today and one of my friends has at the last min asked me to get a sombrero. Do they sell them in any of the airport shops?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,359 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sombrero at the airport?

You can buy sombreros, or hats, at the airport. Depends on what type of hat they want.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sombrero at the airport?

Thank you for your speedy reply - would rather get one at the airport as my case is mega full and I don't think another sombrero would fit in there!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sombrero at the airport?

jlo1985, "sombrero" means "(any) hat (with a brim)".

You're probably looking for a "sombrero de charro" ("cowboy hat"), the wide-brimmed decorated felt or straw hat worn mostly by mariachis. Vendors in some places have probably been asked by English-speakers so many times that they'll know what you mean by "sombrero". In other places, though, they might hand you a baseball cap.

I'll bet you just about anything that you can find one at the airport, possibly at Los Cinco Soles.

Your fellow passengers and the flight attendants will thank every one of the dozen passengers who bring giant hats on the plane.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sombrero at the airport?

I got one :) it wasn't a giant one though, so it fitted easily in the overhead locker of the 787 :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,359 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sombrero at the airport?

Good advice from Mark. As said, a vendor will probably guess what kind of "hat" a tourists wants. Cinco Soles at the airport will have them.

From my airline days, I do know one of the pet peeves of our flight attendants was the number of huge sombreros that passengers thought they could cram in the overhead bins. And, of course, the passengers didn't want other passengers cramming other items in the overhead with their fragile sombreros!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sombrero at the airport?

Delta's website claims that they are very Sombrero "friendly" !! Not really, but I just like the sound of that "Sombrero Friendly" phase!!!

7. Re: Sombrero at the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:21