We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from Sun Palace

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Live from Sun Palace

Hi

We arrived in Sun Palace on Saturday and are leaving on the 15th. Having found this forum so useful while planning our trip, I'm happy to answer questions people might have about the resort.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Hi Becci,

We are going in November - I'd be interested to know general things - like what's your room like, the food and the weather?

Did you fly from the UK?

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Hi

we flew from gatwick. we were lucky enough to upgrade to premier economy which was fab. lots of space and the most pleasant ten hour flight we've ever had.

Weather is very good. we've had two days of brilliant sunshine followed by a but of cloud today but it's swept over and back to sunny now. 30 degree plus.

Food - buffet is the only option for breakfast. i've had omelettes cooked to order so far but Mr C had a waffle this morning with syrup. at lunch the buffet is open again but we had a burger from the pool grill. they do hit dogs, steaks and fish, all sorts. salad and nachos are there too.

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from Sun Palace

At dinner, we went to the Italian on the first night. we had soup or salad to start then.pizza for main. they do a lot of pasta dishes where yout can pick the pasta and the sauce. they also have fish and meat dishes. we had ice cream for dessert and it came out with sauce and a waffle basket.

We went to the Mexican last night. Mr C had a filet mignon with mash and I had chicken enchiladas. He had banana flambe for dessert which provided some great theatre.

The room (concierge of floor 5) is huge, the biggest i've stayed in. kept really clean and a beautiful view over the sea.

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Oooo we are in a concierge room too - I really want one with a big balcony. Do you get the sun on the balcony? Also do you lose the sun in the afternoon (earlier than in Europe)?

Thanks this is great information. I know it's ranked highly, but always good to get real time updates! Are you going to visit any of the other premises - beach or moon palace?

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from Sun Palace

We' lose the sun on the balcony around midday but it's lovely in the morning. The beach area loses it about half three because of the shadow from the building. It's still warm and light now and it's half five - the sun will set within about an hour.

Funny you asked about the other resorts - I wrote to you earlier from Moon Palace. They run a free shuttle bus that takes about ten minutes. You get a free coupon at reception and either get a coach at 11.15 or 13.15. You then have to come back at either 5 or 7, according to when you got there.

We walked straight in and out the back to the pool. It's enormous, much like the Las Vegas hotels. The driveway up to Moon Palace must be about a mile. We sunbathed, spent a lot of time in the pool and had a great buffet lunch in one of the buffets. I had paella and octopus and Mr C had chicken nuggets and chips, fish not being his thing! We've just got back to Sun palace now for a nap and a bath before going out for dinner...

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Hi Becci,

Thank you for reporting on your trip while actually there - it's great to get 'real time' comments.

You mentioned you're on the 5th floor - that is our very favorite - not too high or too low with nice balconies! Lovely.

It's amazing how many people complain about the food at this resort - if you want something that you don't see offered, just ask! They are more than happy to accommodate you.

We've stayed at Sun Palace 6 times and it is our favorite - we love that it's adults only.

I just wanted to say, "Enjoy your holiday! We hope that you have the very BEST time!"

If you see Elfega and/or Maria at the pools serving you, tell them "Mr. Sunny (and Sharon)" said Hi and we'll see them soon!

~Sharon

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Thanks Becci.

That sounds great. We're also at sun for two weeks so I would like to visit the others to mix it up a bit!

The food updates are great too. I'm really excited now, I've never been to cancun.

Is the resort busy at the moment?

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Sorry,we've been offline today on a day trip. We went to Isla Mujeres using resort credit and swam with dolphins, which was pretty amazing. You get a coach at 9.45 in the morning which takes you up to the dock and then get a boat that takes about forty minutes across to the island. You get picked up at half past five then get a coach back to the hotel. They tried to up sell the dolphin part but we stuck with the free package as I'd read reviews about this, and it was fantastic. Six of us with two dolphins for 90 minutes. Can't recommend enough. It cost something like £40 for the two of us to cover the tax.

The resort seems part full. The beach fills up early in the morning, but it seems people often reserve one lounger by the pool and one by the beach and flit between the two. If you can't find an empty chair you can approach one of the guys and they'll sort you out. No need to book for dinner, and no where's been full when we go at about eight.

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Cloudy today... We were up early so on the beach from about half eight to half twelve. The sun did break through and we got some rays before coming in for some lunch from the buffet. I had an amazing steak grilled to order with Caesar salad and fries. Yummy.

While we were eating a storm rolled in from the sea and we watched as everyone came running in. Some fantastic views of the lightening. Since then, it's been really cloudy and overcast so we've stayed in the room watching tv and sharing a bottle of wine and reading. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon while everyone else is at work!

We were meant to go out on a boat trip round cancun today, but we spoke to guest relations and re-arranged the trip for Saturday. Didn't fancy it in the rain!

We'll be getting ready soon to go out to the lounge bar for some pre dinner cocktails.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from Sun Palace

Thanks for taking time for us while on your holiday! Is the Internet free?

Am looking at SP for Christmas vacation. We've been to lots of other resorts- EPM,ERC, Royal PDC, Iberostar (not Grand), Barcelos, RIUs... Wanted EPM but they are booked.

Few questions - I never did see the resolution on the Grand Level room category. Do you know anything about what/where those rooms are?

As it is Christmas, should we PRE book first days of dinners? Can we?

I can't confirm there's shade at the main pool for my husband, is there?

Thanks, in advance!

And to anyone else who jumps in!