We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexio or caribbean?

Bovey Tracey...
Level Contributor
62 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Mexio or caribbean?

We are thinking of going away for xmas 2014. Which is better the Caribbean or Mexico? We like to usually have one day by the pool and one day sightseeing.We do like the weather to be hot.

It will just be us two.

No budget and it would be for 2 weeks. Usually like somewhere where it's quite busy with restaurants, shops etc.

Best Seller
Tulum Ruins, Reef Snorkeling Plus...
133 reviews
from US$109.00*
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,054 reviews
from US$97.33*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,379 reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Tour and Cenote Swimming...
158 reviews
from US$49.00*
Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

avoid Punta Cana, you wont like it............great weather and beaches, but you are stuck at the resort...........

Bovey Tracey...
Level Contributor
62 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

Ok, thanks. We do like to go out and about.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,050 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

Actually , you can do both. This part of Mexico is on the Caribbean.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
305 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

Cancun is part of the Caribbean, but i know what you meant. There is so many things to do while in Cancun seeing that you are going to be there for 2 weeks, just depends on what you like to do. The beaches are amazing! Especially on the southern part of the 7. You could hang out on the beach, visit 1 of the many ruin sites(Chichen Itza) is my personal Favorite!, head down to Tulum or Coba, visit one of the many Cenotes, or head down to Xcaret (archeological park) with underground rivers, swim with dolphins, tons of animals to see and they have an amazing night show. There is also snorkeling, zipligning and atv tours as well.

Hope this helps :)

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

Hot weather in December abounds. You can try Mexico or an island like St. Lucia or Barbados.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

St Barth is a great destination and guaranteed to be hot. Because you have to connect to a small plane in St Maarten, it's a bit of a hassle to get to, so 2 wks is the perfect length. Great food and shopping. Not a whole lot of sightseeing, but there are sights and some of the world's most beautiful beaches. You will need a rental car, but it's nothing like renting in Mexico, insurance-wise.

There are moderate hotels and very high end ones. You can save money by renting a villa.

suitcaseready.com

Philadelphia...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

Mexico or the Caribbean would both be great options. Depending on what you are looking for and who you are traveling with would better narrow down your options. Is this a family vacation?

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

The people in Mexico are much friendlier than anywhere in the Caribbean, for that reason alone I would go to Mexico.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

It is too cold for us in Mexico in December. We would head to the BWI, BVI or Southern Caribbean for the warmest water and weather.

I think it is a broad generalization that people are "much friendlier" in Mexico. I have had wonderful experiences throughout the Caribbean, with the USVI being the least friendly and also least favorite.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,490 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexio or caribbean?

Well, some of this decision would depend on your budget - I haven't been to the Caribbean yet because most island destinations are pretty expensive - I have researched several places for future vacation. Mexico is much easier on the budget. As well, if you came to the Yucatan region, you would have a choice of so many different things to do/explore. Mayan ruins, cenotes, diving/snorkeling, etc. So it would depend on budget & activities. I would book somewhere soon though - Christmas is a busy time of year! Or did you mean next Christmas?