We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

Hola! This will be my 6th trip to Mexico, but my first time at an AI. We generally prefer to stay in simple lodgings and eat at local restaurants, so staying at all-inclusive resort is a whole new gig for us. We are spending 2 days/nights at Gran Caribe Real Resort in mid-November, primarily to attend a wedding and be with friends staying there, and then we head to Isla Mujeres for the rest of our vacation. I have researched on their website quite a bit, but I have found nothing that talks about clothing/attire - is this a fairly high class place? Dress code we should know about? Does this apply to whole property or just some of the restaurants? I do know the basics concepts of AI, but what about tipping - is this expected for maids, etc.? I would love any advice about what I should do or what I should NOT do. I don't need advise on excursions or transport - just the stuff about staying at this AI. Mucho gracias! :)

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

I found a dress code that says no flip flops or T-shirts at dinner at several restaurants. Other than that it sounds like a pair of shorts and a shirt works. Tipping is discretionary but they work hard and are paid little so they are certainly appreciated by the staff.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

Thanks so much for the reply - very appreciated. We are very casual folks, but not the kind that goes to dinner in our swimsuits.

Yes, you see - I try hard to tip well where we normally stay, but I just wasn't sure what you did while staying AI. Does that include everyone then the serves you in some capacity? Or just not the waitstaff at the restaurants? Thanks much! :)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,564 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

You may want to post with the name of the hotel in your title. Many AIs have a dress code for ala cartes, requiring men to wear long trousers..Not sure about this one.

always tip at an AI. People work very hard to make my stay special and a dollar or a few pesos here and there is appreciated.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

You are going to get a lot of different advice about tipping at an AI, the best advice I can offer is to tip what you feel comfortable with.

Some will tip more, some won't tip at all because they have booked an "all inclusive" which states (or they have been told by their travel agent) that all tips are included. I'm using US dollars, others will say pesos are best.

$2 per day for housekeeping

$2 per day for turn down service at night

$2 - $4 for bell boy depending on amount of luggage

$1 - inside mini fridge because the housekeeper usually doesn't do this

$2 - for buffets if you mainly serve yourself

$5 - for a la carte restaurants

$2 - for wait service at the beach, pool, or bar, but not for every round

Sometimes we'll tip other staff you normally wouldn't think of tipping, like the bathroom attendant, gardeners, person who sweeps up around the resort or on the beach, etc. If you do this, do it discreetly, you don't want to embarass anyone.

If I've missed anyone, I'm sure others will chime in.

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

You'll be ready to head over to Isla Mujeres after 2 days at this resort.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,935 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

That is a fabulous list Mo32 - thanks so much! Yes, you see since I have never desired an AI resort, I have only read the brief reasons why people like AI - generally because they say everything is paid upfront. I have always tipped generously to those who give me good service, so I really appreciate knowing this - and the general amounts are very helpful.

Thanks for the replies folks! Only about a month to go!! :)

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

Excellent post mo32, I'd never thought of some of those. I'll remember though.

8. Re: Never stayed at an AI . . . advice would be appreciated! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:18