We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for a family of 5?

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do for a family of 5?

We have three children aged 6,4 and 11 months at time of travel. I am noticing when I search Expedia a lot of resorts are showing as unavailable. I am wondering since our children are so small can I just book as 4? Or do these resorts really not allow 5 in a room regardless of age? I could understand if we had three teenagers but we can all easily fit in a room and the baby won't use any of the food really. If anyone has information on hotels either in cancun or riviera maya that say they won't allow 5 but would permit a baby as the 5th I would love to hear about them!

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

Check out the Royal Sands....they have two bedroom suites/full kitchen/huge balcony & living room. You could all fit very comfortably in a 1 bedroom suite. They have two murphy beds in the living room and the baby can sleep in a crib either in your room or in a separate area right next to your room.

You can also book through an owner on TUG2.net If you rent from an owner you can opt out of all-inclusive and the weeks run from Sat-Sat. We love it there and my kids prefer it to Disney : )

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

Royal Sands, Royal Caribbean, Royal Islander and Royal Cancun - all Royal Resorts - www.royalresorts.com - have 2 bedroom layouts that allow up to 7 in a villa. The Omni also has multiple bedroom villas. The Iberostar did when it was the Hilton. Not sure now. Crown Paradise has "family" rooms.

Cheryl

ocean city, md
Level Contributor
220 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

Go onto Tug2.com and rent from an owner. That's what's we did to avoid the all inclusive fees at the Royal Sands. We are staying in a 2bdrm ocean view unit next month for $1000. Our owner has been wonderful. This will be the 2nd time we've stayed there and one other time we stayed at the Royal Islander. Can't go wrong with any of the Royals. I have a 13yo, 10yo, and 2.5yo. The baby was 8m when we went last time and he did great in the crib that they provided.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

These ai hotels do 5 to a room. Listed lower to higher.

Crown paradise, great parnassus, gran caribe real, beach palace, hard rock.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

" I am wondering since our children are so small can I just book as 4" No

"Or do these resorts really not allow 5 in a room regardless of age?" Most resorts don't. There are some good suggestions above that do though. .There may a few more, but for the most part that's it.

On the hotels I listed above the rule is, 2 adults and 3 kids (ages 17 and under) per room.. I have 3 girls ages 13, 13, 16. We've been doing 5 to a room for 11 yrs. Next yr will be the last yr we can do 5 in a room due to the oldest being 17

Edited: 24 October 2013, 20:06
Boston
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

Unless it's all-inclusive, you should be fine booking 2 adults and two kids into room with two beds. You can request a rollaway when you are there. You can also ask to upgrade to any available suite; sometime you get it free sometime you pay a little more.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

Another vote for the Royal Resorts. There is absolutely no way a hotel room can even come close to the room and amenities offered at the Royals. As suggested, rent directly from a member on tug2.net. They rent out for a song since members are happy just to cover their maintenance fee. Read, inexpensive. Check them out at royalresorts.com

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

Thanks for all the responses! We are going Wed-Wed so renting a timeshare won't work for us. I was just confused because on Travelocity you don't even have to indicate if you have a traveler younger than 2 when you are booking the vacation (their drop downs start with children 2+) so I was curious what would happen if you booked through them and then showed up with a baby. Not that I am going to try it but I really don't want to pay extra for a villa or suite when we really don't need the room.

Moultrie, Georgia
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

I think you should strongly consider Westin Lagunamar. This is where I plan to stay when we go to Cancun with our daughter next year.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do for a family of 5?

Maybe you should try calling Travelocity first, or whomever you are looking to book with. You could also try calling or emailing a resort you are interested in.

Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos has family rooms which consist of two double beds and a pull down murphy bed that could sleep two children, so I don't see how there would be a problem having 3 children in that room. It is a nice resort and very family oriented. In my opinion, this resort was a lot nicer than the Great Parnassus.