We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

market 23

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
market 23

Been to Cancun several times, visited Market 28 several times, someone mentioned Market 23, quite frankly never heard of it till now, is it worth a visit or was this simply a misprint.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: market 23

Not a misprint. Check out TA on it.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: market 23

Using the SEARCH function above:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k693827…

Follow this thread and the additional link given.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: market 23

Thanks, we will check it out next time we are there.

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: market 23

we found it to be more genuine, not as much tourist stuff, you can find trinkets and t-shirts, etc. to us it was more local flavor so to speak-no where near as "pushy" as 28. I personally enjoyed it, take a trip over, there's a nice outdoor air restaurant (cannot remember the name) the food was great!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: market 23

There are many cantinas at Mercado 23.

Queensbury, New York
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: market 23

We just got back from Cancun and visited mercado 23, twice. This is not touristy and is the real deal. There were vendors making fresh tortillas, fresh cheese was available as well as butchers selling meats and chorizos. Stalls sellng fresh food were there also and one where we had to stop and sample the tacos due to the great fresh aroma of pork. Fresh fish and vegetable were also ample. Again, this is not a tourist destination yet, but .... My wife and I would both suggest a visit to this market for it's "real deal" atmosphere of real people selling their products while trying to make a

Living. But please, leave any measure of American BS in the hotel zone ... And do your best at meeting these people on their own ground ...

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: market 23

Kind of interesting when you think about finding the real deal in a town that was founded in 1970. This area was established for the labor force that built the resort area.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: market 23

What area of Mexico, DLP, have you personally visited that closer matches 'the real deal' ?

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: market 23

You misunderstand bella, just pointing out the irony of there being an experience like this in a "new" city! The real deal would depend on your perspective. It could be an authentic mercado, for me it ranges from IM in the 70's to Matamoros in the 80's to the Copper Canyon in the 90's.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: market 23

DLP, have you ever been to Mercado 23?