We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

After considering other vacations because I thought Cancun would be too expensive, I am now considering Cancun. Budget is only ~$3500 usd.

I have found or a travel agent has found 3 potential destiniations. I am looking for all inclusive, family friendly, good food, good service, ideally a pool with zero entry and/or good for kids and adults, nice beach for kids to play. Room needs to be clean but not luxurious, as long as it has good AC.

Here are the three I am considering:

1. Cancun Crown Paradise. Website looks great. Reviews on tripadvisor are good but ranking isnt that high. I am leaning toward this one. 3700 with ocean view room

2. Grand Oasis Cancun. Cheapest of the 3. Ranking is higher but recent reviews are mixed. just under 3500 without ocean view

3. Sea Adventure & Waterpark. This one is the pricier of the three. About 3800 without ocean view.

I greatly appreciate thoughts and insight. Also, any other all inclusive resort worth considering that my be fall within my budget? Or should I just stay away from Cancun with my budget?

Thanks again.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

Don't choose the Oasis just too many issues,with this hotel brand. The Crown Paradise has some nice kids areas and pool play areas but when I visited there I was told I couldn't be in there with my kids which made me nervous. One thing that is important to me with kids is a heated pool that time of year. There aren't many but you could try and price the Royal Sands, fiesta Americans condesa and gram caribe real. They are probably out of your price range though.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 02:22
Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

Thanks for the response. I am unsure how much to factor tripadvisor ratings. Grand oasis is rated better that paradise. But photos and website makes paradise look better.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

Thanks for the response. I am unsure how much to factor tripadvisor ratings. Grand oasis is rated better that paradise. But photos and website makes paradise look better. And the royal sands has good ratings but some reviews are mixed.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

When are you traveling and how long are you staying? That will help with suggestions within your budget.

I don't mean to sound fresh, but if you cannot find a destination in Cancun within your budget, you are going to have a harder time in another tropical location. I'm assuming you mean the whole Riviera Maya area also, not just the hotel zone??

My suggestions would be Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos, close to the airport, very family oriented, nice rooms, decent beach, or Catalonia Playa Maroma, a little further south, much nicer beach, but the resort is not as new as El Cid. Still, very nice. I have reviews of both if you care to read.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

Have you looked at the Great Parnassus or Gran Caribe Real, my kids loved those places and we always found good deals on them.

Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

I would suggest the el Cid. PM is close to the airport so the Kids don't have to endure a long bus ride after the plane. The pool area is great for kids with the cliff jump and slide. Very family friendly. Lots of other kids. Also pretty much shuts down after 10pm so quiet at night. I think it would be close to your budget as well.

west michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

We have stayed at the El Cid in the past and loved it. This year we are going over the holdiays and we could only afford the Crown Paradise Club.....all we really need is a beach, pool and cocktails so I am sure we will be fine!

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am looking at crown paradise an great parnasus (apparently an ex hyatt hotel turned into an all inclusive).

I will check out El Cid now as well. I like the idea of it quieting down around 10 PM. With little ones, we really dont stay up late anyway.

Gran Caribe is now on my list.

One more question, how does everyone book these locations? cheapcarribean.com, bookit, travel agent.... other

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

FYI, The Great Parnassus was built brand new under that name (we were one of the unfortunate first guests of that resort when it opened, lol).

As for booking, it's best to do some research. It takes a lot of time and patience, so if you don't have either, maybe a TA. We use Expedia for package deals, but I still look at the airlines websites first to see what the best days for flying are. The prices change drastically, and they can also change in a matter of hours. It also depends what area of the country you are booking from. Expedia is best for my area, but not for other areas. Just pick out a few of the websites and put in your dates, pick flights, and see what it will cost. Sometimes the difference is hard to believe.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun - Family (Mom, Dad, 8 yo and 4 yo) - February

Friend with 3 kids stayed at the Great Parnassus and loved it! They have family suites with extra bedding for the kiddos too!