We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

I can't believe that me of all people am asking this (I've been to cancun/riviera/playa multiple times... But I'm having to hardest time finding the "right" resort. I want to stay in Cancun, by the shops. I want a room that's not outdated, and a beach that is beautiful (no seaweed, stayed at the moon palace once and transferred right away to the sun palace) I am already booked to stay at ME Cancun. But after reading the reviews I am scared to death now of having a horrible EXPENSIVE time there. I read they even charge for bottled water! And $5/day for maid service annnd $5 per person for room service. I even upgraded to the ocean view room, but apparently you $$$REALLY$$$ need to upgrade at that resort or you'll get well liquor, slow service, etc... I'm in my 30's, I like a fun upbeat resort with pool entertainment, but I just can't seem to find a resort like I want. The reviews have me so indecisive. I'll read 5 great reviews, and then one so awful that one would never want to step foot on the resort! I don't want to stay at a place where there will be hundreds of small kids running around.

Basically here's what I am asking for help with...a resort that:

Somewhat updated

Beautiful beach no seaweed

Edible food

Pool entertainment

Great drinks (meaning not watered down, no up charge for Bacardi, absolute...)

Great service staff

Isn't going to cost thousands of dollars (or I would have just upgraded to another room at ME)

Thanks to anyone that can offer any assistance.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

Check out Live Aqua and Secrets the Vine. If you do not require adults only, I recommend Paradisus Cancun.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

I just saw a price for ME Cancun today on Expedia and wondered why it would be relatively cheap compared to some others (not that I was even looking to stay there), now I know why.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
372 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

We stayed at the JW Marriott 2 years ago and it was great! Everything you are looking for. And service was amazing!except for the pool entertainment.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 23:37
Page, Arizona
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

I agree with Caviargal- Live Aqua, Secrets the Vine, and Paradisus would be great choices. Live Aqua and Paradisus price really well on Cheaptickets with their 20% off promo code.

Detroit
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

I stayed at Me last yr , had it booked for 2 weeks but stayed at Riv Maya for a wedding In between like 4 days .. It's situated right by la isla mall , the drinks wernt so bad , but if u don't upgrade to the level me status i felt u were not takin care of like a real guest . U dont pay $5 for a bottle water , every time,e u order something they give u a bill to sign and it shows the price , becuase they also allow outsiders I believe to come in and rent hotel for night non all clusive. But if your all inclusive All drinks and food is free throughout your stay . The party pool is like a VIP,section . If umdont have level upgrade u gave to pay for it . Or u can get a Bali bed by buying bottle service or just pay 25-40 and still get all inclusive service drinks and food at your bed . The beach is beautiful n rough . The room have no balcony which kind me feel like in jail opening a 3x4 window to hear whats going on . If you got it cheap go for it . I almost booked 2 weeks with flight nonstop round trip $1k/ person and missed out . Have since booked live aqua for less days and almost 2k more and just moving on lol safe travels

Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

Thanks for all the info!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
42 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

I'm a big fan of Secrets The Vine. It has all your requirements and the staff really takes care of you! I've been there last year for week just after Christmas for New Years Eve and am going back this year. Just opened August 2012

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

I just got back from a stay at the resort next door to the ME, which is Beach Palace. It's of course owned by the same company that owns Moon Palace - except it's a much smaller resort on a much nicer stretch of beach. I found the food to be pretty good or at least much better than I was expecting, there was no upcharge for top shelf liquor - I actually would ask for an extra shot of grey goose, don julio, or captain morgan with a lot of my drinks so I could make my own "double shot" and there was never any hesitation by the staff to provide.

The only thing I would say is that it is a "family friendly" resort and there happen to be a convention in town half of the time we were there with tons of little kids running around rampant, but we didn't notice a major problem with tons of kids before the convention came into town. There also wasn't a lot of nightly entertainment.. we weren't sure if a lot of people just go out in town or call it a night early but even the bars that were open til 1am were often pretty empty by 11pm... so it's not as lively in that sense.

Ohio
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

I would LOVE to stay at the vine, unfortunately it is way out of my price range. Thanks for the advice!

10. Re: Just booked ME Cancun, ideas for a different resort please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:16