We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Cancun renovations.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Cancun renovations.

I was just wondering if this chain does a nice job when they renovate or is it mainly just "putting some lipstick' on the rooms and common areas? They are supposed to be closed from mid April to end of July 2014 and I didn't know if anyone has stayed at a "newly renovated" resort with this chain before. Thanks.

johnstone
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Hope you dont mind me asking did you have to pay for upgrade, just I am going in August

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Hi if the hotel is not finished they will upgrade free of charge but I feel that the hotel will be finished by your holiday,if it isn't they will contact you in good time so don't worry.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

I've just stayed at the Riu Caribe 2nd time (July 2014) that could do with a lick of paint in some of the rooms and the fixtures!

The Riu Cancun is all masked in Black fencing to hide any building work we walked past a few times to have a sneaky look.

The hotel has been stripped even the Red Riu Sign on the tower is off you could see loads of workers on the roof it's a real construction sight should be great once completed.

The buses were full of workers at 6pm but work is 24 hours so I'm sure this will be completed on time it's a massive hotel even the lifts have gone it's been seriously gutted and started again it needed it.

I did like it's character stayed in 2012 then caribe 2013, 2014 the Peninsular next to the Caribe looked seriously classy.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 16:33
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

I have stayed at the rui cancun twice and I am going in December again, I love the resorts prime location and amenities, I can't wait to see what they improve, I have stayed other places and the rui is for sure my favorite

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Check out travel bob.com 3 pictures of the renovations can't wait till Sept

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Sorry should have been travelbybob.com or @travelbybob

Elizabeth, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Stay at RIU Palace Peninsula......BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

South Wales
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Riu Palace Peninsula may be beautiful but at £800 more than the Riu Cancun dont think its worth it, can have another week away for the difference

Worksop, England...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Had an email today from Riu. The renovations at Riu Cancun are completed and hotel is up and running. They are going to post pictures on their website soon.

toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
40. Re: Riu Cancun renovations.

Thanks for the update Missy! I'm glad to hear the renovations went according to plan... dying to see updated pictures! We'll see you by the pool or beach ;)