We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

Hi Everyone!

As always, I need to rely on TripAdvisor to make my next vacation choice! Last summer, my hubby and I went on our honeymoon to Playa del Carmen, for the first time! This June, we would like to head to Cancun for a little more "lively" environment. We MIGHT have some friends with us coming, or it might just be us two. We are 25 years old, we are teachers, so we like to relax, however, we like to have fun as well! Our typical trip would consist of laying by the pool, ocean action and maybe one or two day trips/excursions. We are looking for something AI since neither of us have ever stayed at an AI place and think it would be more convenient if we have others traveling with us. We will still like to venture out and try other places as well! :) (I'm hoping there are some authentic/hole in the wall places you can eat at in Cancun still)?

With all of this being said, I need hotel suggestions! I LOVE the idea/look of Live Aqua, but the cost is a little more than we are hoping. We would like to stay around 1,100/person. Is this do-able? From what I have found online, it looks like it is? I also looked into Temptations which seems great, but a little "too rowdy" maybe? I like the idea of the RIU resorts, but have no idea how to tell them all apart! In PDC we stayed at the Royal Haciendas so we are familiar with the Royal Sands and like it, but I heard the AI there is still iffy since they just incorporated it last year.

If you could give me ANY input that would be great, since we would like to book soon! :) Thanks so much for all your help!!

iowa
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

The Riu Caribe and Riu Palace Penninsula are side by side up at the top of the hotel zone The other 2 Rius the Cancun and Palace las Americus are at the turn or point by the mall and clubs. We just stayed at the Penninsula and have been to the Caribe 3 times and love them. Fun but there are quiet areas. $1100 per person may not cut it depending on the number of days and if you want the airfare in that toal as well. You could get a deal in June though. Take a day trip out to Isla Mujeres for the authentic touch in food and atmosphere.

We have also stayed at Temptations a couple times and it is a sexy party resort. I would make sure my friend knew what they were getting in to. Temptations is a great place if you want to or like to go topless.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

Live Aqua is Zen like and mild. I would suggest the Riu Palace Las Americas or Riu Cancun. They are side by side and within walking distance to all the nightlife, shopping, ect.... Ifyou stay at the Riu Palace Las Americas, you can use everything at the Riu Cancun and Riu Caribe down the road.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

if you want to see the real Mexico, stay away from the "zone" and find a more authentic hotel centered in the city. The zone area is for those afraid to venture into real Mexico. You can eat a westernized meal and sleep in westernized hotel...but then you're NOT experiencing the true beauty and wonder that is Mexico. Rent a car or take the bus..eat real food and meet the friendliest, hardworking people you could ever meet. I've traveled through Mexico extensively...and it's never been to the strip.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

if you want to see the real Mexico, stay away from the "zone" and find a more authentic hotel centered in the city. The zone area is for those afraid to venture into real Mexico. You can eat a westernized meal and sleep in westernized hotel...but then you're NOT experiencing the true beauty and wonder that is Mexico. Rent a car or take the bus..eat real food and meet the friendliest, hardworking people you could ever meet. I've traveled through Mexico extensively...and it's never been to the strip.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

Golden Parnassus is a nice resort that would fit in your price range. It is topless optional at the pool but there were only a few women who did. It has a good night atmosphere and the beach is beautiful! No reservations required for the restaurants and the food is good. We are staying at Temptation next summer.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

Thank you all for your help! I am continuing to research and excited to get our vacation planned!

California, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

Husband and I stayed at both Riu Caribe one year and Riu Cancun (next to Riu Palace). Loved them both! I think around $1100 pp is doable price.

Southern IN
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

I would not consider Temptation rowdy, but the sexy pool is lively. About half the gals spend the day topless. It's a party atmosphere. The quiet pool is just that , quiet. No so much the party, and when I was there not many topless. Night time activities are risqué. It's a party hardy crowd, and IMHO, the best party atmosphere. The beach is adequate. For beautiful beaches go on down the pensula. It's grorgeous past Cancun.

9. Re: First time to Cancun...suggestions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 05:17