We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Topic
We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

We will be in the Cancun area for 8 days. We are planning on breaking us our trip and staying in two spots. We want to be able to dive with a company and also have access to snorkeling which we would prefer to do on our own. Which area or island should we stay at for the diving / snorkeling part of our trip? We are fine with isla, Cozumel and as far south as Tulum. We are both certified divers. Thanks!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

Cozumel. Easy call.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

We went to the Cozumel Palace for a day while staying at Playacar Palace last week. There were a lot of people that we met there that had taken the ferry over to dive. We also snorkeled right at the resort with a number of other people.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

Cozumel - check out the TA forum

Or - the caves down towards akumal: Tulum to me seemed like they would be a very cool experience - while we snorkeled at dos ojos, there were a few groups if divers exploring deeper into the caverns

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

I was also at Cozumel Palace in Nov. I don't dive, but I talked to many people that were diving there. The boat comes in right in front of the hotel. They were able to dive by paying for it with the resort dollar program that Palace resorts offers when you stay at Cozumel Palace. I also went for a run south of the Cozumel Palace one morning and there are hotels, in that same area, just for divers.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
298 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

Been all over the area, and as others have said, Cozumel is the obvious choice. And the diving there is some of the best in the world - particularly the wall and drift diving.

BUT, for something really interesting and different, you might also consider one of the cenote complexes down Hwy 307 on the way to Tulum.

We've been to Cozumel many times to all the major sites, and it was always great, but the cenotes on the mainland are something pretty cool to see.

6. Re: We want to dive and snorkel - which area should we stay at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:16